Nazarene Space

Could someone please explain how exactly Yeshua andYochanan were cousins if both of Yochanans parents were Levites and Miriam and Yosef were descendants of David??!! I do not doubt the scriptures, but I can't find and explination either. I bought a copy of David Sterns New Testament Commentary and I was sure he would explain it, but it's one of the few subjects he didn't touch!

Views: 387

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi I was under the assumption that Mary parents were Levites and Joseph was a decendent of David.

Marc
ya mary was brought up in synagouge.. may be she is also levite...
yes, but both geneologies in Matthew and Luke run through Davids family and one of them is Mary's and the other is Joseph's, neither one says anything about Levi.

Marc said:
Hi I was under the assumption that Mary parents were Levites and Joseph was a decendent of David.

Marc
Shalom, I can't say I have the answer, but I have given it some thought. If Zechariah and Elizabeth were both from the tribe of Levi and Mary was cousin to Elizabeth (but not necessarily to Zechariah), I would expect for some intertribal mingling to have gone on- one way or the other, but it is all speculation. I would expect that a woman of levitical descent married one of Mary's close relatives, but again, there are no surviving records I am aware of. As far as maintaining tribal purities, even if such was the law or custom, not all heeded those laws, as can be seen from the history of the Maccabean period .I dont know if this helps or confuses the issue- I have wondered this myself. either way, any speculation must be just considered speculation, which is all I can offer. Shalom, kenny cartwright
good point! things aren't always the way they should be, especially when people are involved! Someone must have strayed somewhere!

Kenny Cartwright said:
Shalom, I can't say I have the answer, but I have given it some thought. If Zechariah and Elizabeth were both from the tribe of Levi and Mary was cousin to Elizabeth (but not necessarily to Zechariah), I would expect for some intertribal mingling to have gone on- one way or the other, but it is all speculation. I would expect that a woman of levitical descent married one of Mary's close relatives, but again, there are no surviving records I am aware of. As far as maintaining tribal purities, even if such was the law or custom, not all heeded those laws, as can be seen from the history of the Maccabean period .I dont know if this helps or confuses the issue- I have wondered this myself. either way, any speculation must be just considered speculation, which is all I can offer. Shalom, kenny cartwright
Yeshua's genealogy recorded in Matthew and Luke are BOTH PATERNAL. Hebrews keep paternal genealogies. Matthew has his biological genealogy. Luke contains his Levirate marriage (husband's brother) genealogy. The genealogies prove that Yeshua is the rightful heir to the throne of David, an important promise that is fulfilled.

Mariam and Elisheva are cousins. Elisheva's mother is from the House of David, while her father is from the House of Aaron. Elizabeth's son is also from these two tribes. So Yeshua and Johanon the Immerser were second cousins.

You may not know this, but Yeshua has many first cousins in the twelve emissaries. Mariam's sister Shalome is the mother of the sons of Zebedee, making Jochanan and Jacov his cousins. Yeshua's family supported his ministry, contrary to what is sometimes erroneously taught. For more detail, google Road to Tziyon Family Album.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

LINKS

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by James Trimm.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service