Nazarene Space

Shalom Everyone, I thought I might start a discussion on "why the Torah was added." If any of you have thoughts on how to explain what the Apostle Paul was thinking when he wrote the following verses:

Galatians 3:19

19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

Romans 5:20

20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

These two quotes are both from the KJV, if anyone has an alternate translation I would be interested to examine it.

Blessings in The Name,
ImAHebrew

Views: 64

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gal 3:19 Why, then, the Torah? It was added because of transgressions, until the Seed should come to whom the promise was made. And it was ordained through messengers in the hand of a mediator.

Rom 5:19 For as through the disobedience of one man many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the One many shall be made righteous.
Rom 5:20 And the Torah came in beside, so that the trespass would increase. But where sin increased, favour increased still more,
Rom 5:21 so that as sin did reign in death, even so favour might reign through righteousness to everlasting life through יהושע Messiah our Master.

The Native American use to steal from one another. This was seen as wrong or sinfull. It was a way of life. It was not until European people landed and upset the balance of the take and take back life style that the idea of wrong or right with regard to this activity that the Native American realized the sin of the action. In the same way Torah was given to reveal the sin of actions by man that were untoward Elohim as sin. Not to be a burden, but to improve the human way of life.

Does this help?

Shalom,

Roeh Billy
Shalom Billy, thank you so much for replying to me. I've never heard the Native American analogy before, but I have heard the general concept that you presented. I agree that with the Torah, we are given a knowledge of what is sin. I'm not sure that the Apostle Paul had that in mind when he was explaining why the Torah was added. I see you gave a different translation of Gal 3:19, and I was wondering if you have access to the Greek that was used in that verse? I'm very interested in what was translated in your version and mine as "because of." To me it is very unusual that Paul used the Greek word "charin" (Strongs 5484) and not "dia" (Strongs 1223) for why the Torah was added. "Charin" is taken from the Greek word "charis" (Strongs 5485), and "charis" is the word used for "grace" or "gift." Because Paul used "charin" in the wording of why the Torah was added, I think he had in mind that the Torah was added to "give" transgression. And doesn't that go along with what Paul said in Romans 5, that the Torah came in so that transgression would increase? Please give me some feedback on this. Also, in Romans 5:14 Paul says that Adam was a type or figure of the One coming. How was Adam a figure or type of Yeshua?

Blessings in The Name,
ImAHebrew

Reply to Discussion

RSS

LINKS

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by James Trimm.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service