Nazarene Space

I know that according to the Talmud, mushrooms are kosher. But I am compelled to ask what the intelligent minds of Nazarene Space have to say about it, given the following facts:

• Genesis 1:29 states, Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. Notice that it says seed-bearing plant, yet Mushrooms lack seeds (they reproduce by spores, just like mold and some forms of bacteria).
  • Mushrooms are neither fruit nor vegetable, but a fungus. Fungi traditionally grows out of death. It seems that the whole point of kosher eating is to avoid death, and death oriented foods. The Torah contains explicitly directions on getting rid of (and not coming in contact with) mold and mildew (Leviticus 13-14); would mushrooms be considered part of this, as they are of similar biological origin?

I'm not saying that I have a personal conviction against eating mushrooms, just asking what you all think. Thanks in advance!

Views: 6451

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

good point.  i'll have to add that to my list of abominations to avoid (good thing i didn't like them anyway).

Your second point is a good question. I might have to look into that.

As for the first point, one could say that "seed" isn't as strictly defined in the Bible as in modern English; the Bible speaks of literal seeds (eg the mustard seed), "Abraham's seed" and the "seed of the serpent", which I believe are all communicated by the same word or words.

Woah woah. Don't take my word for it. I don't even take my word for it. This is just me thinking out loud, and asking for feedback.

Anayahu Priel (Andrew P) Carlson said:
good point.  i'll have to add that to my list of abominations to avoid (good thing i didn't like them anyway).

What about potatoe? Is without seed also.

Shalom

I'm sorry, I just check and potatoes has seed's, I didn't know that. :D

I gues I will not eat mushrooms any more.

Thank you for this information.

Shalom

Don't break my heart, Ben Efrayim.  Potatoes are my favorite veggie =).

hehehehe :D

Hey but what about Yeast?

Yeasts are eukaryotic micro-organisms classified in the kingdom Fungi, with the 1,500 species currently described estimated to be only 1% of all yeast species.Yeast is used in winemaking where it converts the sugars present in grape juice or must into alcohol. Yeast is normally already invisibly present on the grapes.

Good point.  Perhaps i agreed with Jesse's point too quickly.  whatever the case, i'm not eating mushrooms, they are icky =D.

Well don't jump to conclusions. Like I told Andrew, I'm not even convinced of my own post. It's just an idea.

"Do not make rash decisions." (Book of Jesse, Saying 2)

Iejezquel Ben Efrayim said:

I'm sorry, I just check and potatoes has seed's, I didn't know that. :D

I gues I will not eat mushrooms any more.

Thank you for this information.

Shalom

it should be quite obvious that poisonous mushrooms are not kosher, though you never know with some people and the obvious.

Although mushrooms are classified as fungi today, they were known as plants for most of the world's history. I still consider fungi to be plants, and spores are seeds. This is how they were known before the "scientific revolution". We are told in Genesis to eat plants that bear seeds. This means that fungi are kosher, but plants that never produce seeds, such as GMO plants, are non-kosher. But that's just my opinion, I don't want to be preaching false doctrine here.

Also, fungi do not have to grow out of death, they can grow from ordinary soil. The first mushrooms YHWH made did not grow from decaying organic material, because nothing had died yet.

The mushrooms spread by their spores that are like the flower's polen, then when someting tuches the lamels they become like small seeds that dry and fall on ground or are taken by the wind.

The Hebraic Comunity here in Romania has taken from what I heard aid of coservs with mushrooms, not debating watever they are kosher or not, so I assume they are, and last year when I was at forest I recolted big mushrooms that taste like peanuts, and people eat them as they are. Even so, I parboiled them before I prepared them with sosage. I hade no special problems with alergy and was free food with no flesh that can break the commandements if is not cut right and the blood does not flow in ground. So, I consider them vegetal food and if they are kosher then are ok also for diet, but I dont say they are kosher for the Passover. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

LINKS

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by James Trimm.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service