Nazarene Space

So, as none of the materials Lev 23 prescribes are readily available to me, would it be prudent to live in a tent in my back yard for the week of Sukkot? Would that be the modern day equivalent of dwelling in a tabernacle?

Views: 130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rury? lol...

I don't remember. I think I was just feeling self conscious at the time my wife was snapping photos of me, probably caused me to look away feeling uneasy.

Greg Olson said:
Rury,

I've used a tent before. It's all I had.

By the way, what exactly are you looking at in your photo? Is it another person? Is it something on the wall?

:-)

Greg
I live in an apartment and don't own any land nearby, so I guess my storage room near the garage is the closest thing ? :P
lol

I could probably fit 2 tents in my back yard if you swing by Seattle for Sukkot. It's only an 18 hour flight. If you leave now you'll be here on time.

:-D

Christian said:
I live in an apartment and don't own any land nearby, so I guess my storage room near the garage is the closest thing ? :P
A better question might be, how do you build a sukkah on the 1st day of Tabernacles
when that first day (the 15th) & the last day (the 22nd) are supposed to be Sabbaths?
How can you even build any sufficient shelter in just one day, especially when the rest
of that week is also (i think) designated to be a very busy harvest week already.

I live(camp) in the woods in a motorhome already..but I do have a very sheltered spot picked out;
right beside a big stump & under some big cedar & hemlock trees where i can build a quick "lean to".
But in this weather I will still have to use some sort of tarp to stay dry...I am taking supplies & a small
biomass stove to the area ahead of time...but is that true that the sukkah is to be built on a Sabbath?

But this is all just a practice run, since i do have calendar issues this year, & plan on doing it again next month.
I also expected a large earthquake on this 9/9 "New Years", which i am still looking for, but now around 10/8.
which unfortunately wont prove anything, since our government is producing quakes with Tesla Technology Now.

BTW I have lots of room & lots of trees that you dont have to carry far, here in the wild woods of mason county LOL.
hello. where does Scripture say it must be built on the sabbath? couldn't it be built the day (or several days) before?
Hi Ann,
First let me correct my statement about the harvest being "during" Tabernacles...
because right there in Leviticus 23:39 & 40 it says Tabernacles is after the Harvest:

Lev 23:39 Howbeit on the fifteenth day of the seventh month, when ye have gathered in the fruits of the land, ye shall keep the feast of Jehovah seven days:

And then it goes on to say:
On the first day shall be a solemn rest, and on the eighth day shall be a solemn rest.

And then next verse:
Lev 23:40 And ye shall take you "On The First Day" the fruit of goodly trees, branches of palm-trees, and boughs of thick trees, and willows of the brook; and ye shall rejoice before Jehovah your God seven days.

Thats ASV...and KJV says:

Lev 23:39 Also in the fifteenth day of the seventh month, when ye have gathered in the fruit of the land, ye shall keep a feast unto the LORD seven days: on the first day shall be a sabbath, and on the eighth day shall be a sabbath.
Lev 23:40 And ye shall take you on the first day the boughs of goodly trees, branches of palm trees, and the boughs of thick trees, and willows of the brook; and ye shall rejoice before the LORD your God seven days.

I do not understand it!

Any ideas, anyone?

Ann Scott said:
hello. where does Scripture say it must be built on the sabbath? couldn't it be built the day (or several days) before?
If I remember correctly, I believe I read somewhere that certain "sabbaths" have a different of restrictions than the weekly Sabbath.

Ann Scott said:
You can order a Sukkah online,or just view them in order to see how they are constructed. It should have a place, or places in the "roof" where you can view the stars.
Most kosher markets should have pomegranates,lulav and etrog for this time of year.
Your [the?] local Chabad house can also help with finding these.
here are two links [prolly too late for this year tough]

http://www.jewish-history.com/emporium/store_sukkot.htm

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/WGoldberg/StoreFront.bok
I guess the only logical answer to how the building of the sukkah on the "First Day"
which is a Sabbath
must be what James has already said..
"How many times must I point out that in Hebrew and Aramaic the phrase
"the first day of" can also be translated "the day before"
(the literal Hebrew and Aramaic means "the former day"

So just as in the case of the "Passover week" with Nissan 14 being Passover (!st day)
and Nissan 15-21 being seven days of unleavened bread, (7 more days)...
the phrase "The First Day" here at Tabernacles must also refer to the 14th of Tishri,
Or the Day Before the 15th...Because Tabernacles is also refered to as "8" days someplace?
Is it not? From the 15th to 22nd (i think)...I will have to check on that...to see

Richard Allen Duncan said:
A better question might be, how do you build a sukkah on the 1st day of Tabernacles
when that first day (the 15th) & the last day (the 22nd) are supposed to be Sabbaths? How can you even build any sufficient shelter in just one day,
I live(camp) in the woods in a motorhome already..but I do have a very sheltered spot picked out;
right beside a big stump & under some big cedar & hemlock trees where i can build a quick "lean to".
But in this weather I will still have to use some sort of tarp to stay dry...I am taking supplies and a small
biomass stove to the area ahead of time...but is that true that the sukkah is to be built on a Sabbath?
Actually Sukkot is a mirror image of Passover.

Passover/ULB is one day followed by seven days?

Sukkot is seven days followed by a last great day.

I guess the only logical answer to how the building of the sukkah on the "First Day"
which is a Sabbath

So just as in the case of the "Passover week" with Nissan 14 being Passover (!st day)
the phrase "The First Day" here at Tabernacles must also refer to the 14th of Tishri,
Or the Day Before the 15th...Because Tabernacles is also refered to as "8" days someplace?
Is it not? From the 15th to 22nd (i think)...I will have to check on that...to see

when that first day (the 15th) & the last day (the 22nd) are supposed to be Sabbaths? How can you even build any sufficient shelter in just one day,
But in this weather I will still have to use some sort of tarp to stay dry...I am taking supplies and a small
So we have...

Passover is on the 14th of the 1st month
Unleavened Bread is from the 15th through the 21st of the 1st month
Its Sabbaths are the 14th and the 21st, 1 week apart.

Sukkot is from the 15th through the 21st of the month
The Last Great Day is the 22nd of the 7th month
Its Sabbaths are the 15th and the 22nd, 1 week apart.

Is that right?

James Trimm said:
Actually Sukkot is a mirror image of Passover.

Passover/ULB is one day followed by seven days?

Sukkot is seven days followed by a last great day.

which is a Sabbath

Yes this is the same thing I am struggling with.
The parallels between the spring & fall feasts is
really cool..but it falls slightly short of answering the
question of when to build the sukkah..On 14th or 15th?

So do we view Passover (on the 14th) as "preparation day"
for the 7 days of Unleavened Bread which follows it
which would make UB fall between (on) the 15th and 21st
which is only 7 days with only 1 sabbath...which is a total
count of 8 days (counting 14th)...but the 14th cant be a Sabbath
because it is preparation day...So I am still way confused!!!
So that would mean that the 22nd would be a Sabbath?

But Sukkot is already listed as 8 days from the 15th to the 22nd
Which would make both of those days as Sabbaths....
but if we count the "First Day" as "The Day Before"
on the 14th (when we build the Sukkah), then it totals 9 days.
STILL CONFUSED

Reply to Discussion

RSS

LINKS

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by James Trimm.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service