Nazarene Space

How do you respond when someone says "Merry Christmas"?

Question for discussion:

Views: 891

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I say "Christos Genate!" (Christ is Born). If it also happens to be Chanukoh, I'll wish them a Happy Chanukoh, Chanukoh Someyach, or Freyylikhen Khanike as well. 

Happy Chanukkah and then proceed to explain the reason for the reply ...very cautiously!

"Y'know, I believe in Messiah and I celebrate His birth. I just don't celebrate His birth on the Roman holiday dedicated to the rebirth of the sun god Mithras.", then I add "You're not real big on church history, are you?"

Well its that time of year again.

I simply say "thank you" and wish them a happy new year. I don't mention Channukah because they

aren't Jewish, so it would be senseless to do so.

"Merry Christmas" translated = Happy "Christ" sacrifice! (Yearly)

Not sure I could ever say "thank you" to that. I would much rather "plant seeds" and let the Eternal do the watering.

reply:
happy holiday too.

Saying thank you is being polite.Nothing wrong with that...also a good way to "plant seeds",

although I don't feel the need to do that.

Well its that time of year again!

Usually I will say, "Happy Holiday" . I will employ humour, and if the person is a Christian, add " you're three months too late, we've already celebrated Messiah's birth" and point them to the Scripture (John 1: 1-4) . But understanding that some still esteem it, I can say "enjoy your holiday".

Reply to Discussion

RSS

LINKS

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by James Trimm.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service