Nazarene Space

Is the Shroud of Turin real or a fake?

Views: 125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Indeed it is. If we look at Scripture in the Book of John, it details Peter going to the tomb with John. Notice it tells us - “then following him, Shim’on Kefa arrived, entered the tomb, and saw the burial sheets lying there, also the cloth that had been around his head, lying not with the sheets but in a separate place and still folded up”. (John 20:6-7 CJB). Also, Pope John Paul II gave permission for carbon dating and this showed the cloth of the Turin Shroud to date from 13th Century. This is not the burial shroud of Yeshua.

That is a good point.  However it is known that there was a fire and the shroud got singed and even had a few holes, which were repaired. The cloth was permeated with smoke and debris from the air.  This, by the way, happened in the 13th Century.  It is no wonder the carbon dating revealed as much.  There were subsequest tests performed that were either inconclusive or dated around 100 AD give or take 50 years or so. You see, carbon 14 dating is not an exact "science". It is used to measure the decay rate of Carbon 14 in substances.  It has to be calibrated before every use and does have a large margin of error.  It can be as much as 250 years in some cases.  It is primarily designed to test materials thousands of years old, plus or minus a few hundred years. The history of the shroud, its resting places and its trek through different locations is much more accurate that C14 dating.  It's legacy and history can be traced to within a few hundred years of the Crucifixion.  

Back to the shroud... Through the ages it has periodically been repaired and in each case materials of that age were used for the repairs.  Of several tests performed, the dating of the shroud varied greatly, much more that the margin of error would allow.  The reason is the shroud has materials that span centuries that were used ti maintain the relic.  Check it out.  It is a fascinating story...

An interesting article by my old friend Jack Kilmon

The Shroud of Turin

Genuine artifact or manufactured relic?

Jack Kilmon

http://www.historian.net/shroud.htm

From the article:

CONCLUSION

The Shroud of Turin is a genuine artifact of a first century Roman crucifixion of an adult Jewish male. The radiocarbon dating placing the manufacture of the linen in the 14th century was flawed by extrinsic C14 accumulated over centuries of fungal growth, candle smoke and the intense heat of the fire of 1532. There is NO paint on the linen of the shroud and is not the artifice of a forger.

I need to amend my input. The date of the fire was 1535 and was not in the 13th Century as I stated above.  My mistake and I apologize.  My memory isn't what it used to be.

Dr Wesley L B Rose said:

That is a good point.  However it is known that there was a fire and the shroud got singed and even had a few holes, which were repaired. The cloth was permeated with smoke and debris from the air.  This, by the way, happened in the 13th Century.  It is no wonder the carbon dating revealed as much.  There were subsequest tests performed that were either inconclusive or dated around 100 AD give or take 50 years or so. You see, carbon 14 dating is not an exact "science". It is used to measure the decay rate of Carbon 14 in substances.  It has to be calibrated before every use and does have a large margin of error.  It can be as much as 250 years in some cases.  It is primarily designed to test materials thousands of years old, plus or minus a few hundred years. The history of the shroud, its resting places and its trek through different locations is much more accurate that C14 dating.  It's legacy and history can be traced to within a few hundred years of the Crucifixion.  

Back to the shroud... Through the ages it has periodically been repaired and in each case materials of that age were used for the repairs.  Of several tests performed, the dating of the shroud varied greatly, much more that the margin of error would allow.  The reason is the shroud has materials that span centuries that were used ti maintain the relic.  Check it out.  It is a fascinating story...

Fantastic article. It covers all of the main points and its conclusion is what I also concluded.  Is there controversy? Sure. Some merely want to discredit anything that could support the accout given us in the New Testament.  If they can at least insert a miniscule amount of doubt they have succeeded in their mission.  

James Trimm said:

An interesting article by my old friend Jack Kilmon

The Shroud of Turin

Genuine artifact or manufactured relic?

Jack Kilmon

http://www.historian.net/shroud.htm

While the above article is fascinating and truthful, by Biblical definitions does not belong to Yeshua. The Catholic Church, in its zeal to collect relics for veneration have long perpetrated this as the shroud of "Jesus" and encouraged veneration of it. That of course is idolatry.

I have a hard time seeing that Yah would allow the production of an image

Reply to Discussion

RSS

LINKS

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by James Trimm.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service