Nazarene Space

Shalom to all,

A friend told me that there is a midrash that says that in Jacob's vision, he got scared because he saw Mashiach in the top of the ladder, and he also saw him at the bottom of the ladder, but my friend does not remember where he saw this midrash.

Does anyone knows about this midrash?

Views: 149

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wikipedia says:

According to the Midrash, the ladder signified the exiles which the Jewish people would suffer before the coming of the Messiah. First the angel representing the 70-year exile of Babylonia climbed "up" 70 rungs, and then fell "down". Then the angel representing the exile of Persia went up a number of steps, and fell, as did the angel representing the exile of Greece. Only the fourth angel, which represented the final exile of Rome/Edom (whose guardian angel was Esau himself), kept climbing higher and higher into the clouds. Jacob feared that his children would never be free of Esau's domination, but God assured him that at the End of Days, Edom too would come falling down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob%27s_Ladder#Jewish_traditions

Thank you, for your answer.

I'm guessing that what you're looking for is in the famous midrash "Genesis Rabbah", which can be a bit tricky to find online (in a complete, non-abridged edition.)

Hereafter ye shall see the angels ascending and descending upon the Son of Man.

excellent reference, Christopher !
Your theory of Jacob's ladder = Yeshua (the WAY, the Truth, and the Life) makes perfect symbolic sense !
Thanks for sharing.

Christopher Hernandez said:

Hereafter ye shall see the angels ascending and descending upon the Son of Man.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

LINKS

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by James Trimm.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service