Shalom to all, I hope some of you may be able to help expound and give me some closure on a puzzle/subject I can't seem to crack for years. See thread title.
After studying the Enoch/Essene Qumran solar calendar and pretty much appreciating its uniformity and precision, I've now run into a jam. The non canonical book of Jubilees states this :
Jubilees 6: 30-38 :
- And all the days of the commandment will be two and fifty weeks of days, and (these will make) the entire year complete. Thus it is engraven and ordained on the
- And there is no neglecting (this commandment) for a single year or from year to year.
- And command thou the children of Israel that they observe the years according to this reckoning- three hundred and sixty-four days, and (these) will
constitute a complete year, and
they will not disturb its time from its days and from its feasts; for
everything will fall out in them
their testimony, and they will not leave out any day nor disturb any
- But if they do neglect and do not observe them according to His commandment, then they will disturb all
their seasons and the years will be dislodged from this (order), [and
they will disturb the seasons
and the years
will be dislodged] and they will neglect their ordinances.
- And all the children of Israel will forget and will not find the path of the years, and will forget the
new moons, and seasons, and
and they will go wrong as to all the order of the years.
- For I know and from henceforth will I declare it unto thee, and it is not of my own
devising; for the book (lies) written
before me, and on the heavenly tablets the division of days is ordained,
lest they forget the feasts
of the covenant
and walk according to the feasts of the Gentiles after their error
and after their
- For there will be those who will assuredly make observations of the moon -how (it) disturbs the
seasons and comes in from year to year ten days too soon.
- For this reason the years will come upon them when they will disturb (the order), and make an
abominable (day) the day of
testimony, and an unclean day a feast day, and they will confound all
the days, the holy with the
unclean, and the unclean day with the holy; for they will go wrong as to
the months and sabbaths
and feasts and
- For this reason I command and testify to thee that thou mayst testify to them; for after thy death thy children will disturb (them), so that they will
not make the year three
hundred and sixty-four days only, and for this reason they will go wrong
as to the new moons and
seasons and sabbaths and festivals, and they will eat all kinds of blood
with all kinds of flesh.
Now, King David or whoever Psalm 104 : 19 is attested to wrote this :
He appointed the moon for seasons: the sun knoweth his going down.
See my confusion? Jubilees says use the sun to make calendar and mark feast dates, but our trusty told Tanakh says use the moon. Jubilees has a warning against using the moon. Whats going on?
So I have a few questions I'd like answered in this order :
1.) Which is the correct method for dating feasts? Moon as prescribed in Psalms or Jubilee Sun Calendar? Why?
2.) If your answer to the first question is the Solar Jubilee calendar, then how do you reconcile that to the fact Genesis 1 says that both the sun and moon are to be used, yet Book of jubilees warns against using the moon. What therefore is the use of the moon to the Jubilee/Enoch calendar system?
3.) I have seen no direct command for calendar intercalation in the Tanakh (no not even in Ezekiel). Is there a concrete, solid method for the 1 and a quarter day discrepancy that exists for the Jubilee calendar? Or is this 365 and a quarter day just some made up science hogwash, and the year is truly a perfect 364 cycle as stated in the book of Jubilees?
Many thanks in advance. I await some closure on this puzzle I've had for so long.