Nazarene Space

please help me understand psalms 110.

if psalms 110 was seen in the divine hierarchical form, that it depicts, then what
form would it take, working from psalms 110:1 downwards?

then we also have:

(Matthew 22:44 The Scriptures 1998+) ‘יהוה said to my Master, “Sit at My right hand, until I make Your enemies a footstool of Your feet” ʼ?

in what sense was

H113
אדן אדון
'âdôn 'âdôn
aw-done', aw-done'

meant?

how did yahushua (spelling ?) understand that divine hierarchicy, since this psalm was oft-repeated, quoted and interpreted in the new testament? not looking for interpretations - there are plenty out there.

again, if psalms 110 was seen in the divine hierarchical form, that it depicts, then what
form would it take, working from psalms 110:1 downwards?

Views: 428

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great question.
And don't worry about the spelling of Yeshua/Yahushua, there are many variations.

The psalm in question says:

v.1 "{Psalm of David.} Jehovah (YHWH) said unto my Lord (Adoni), Sit at my right hand, until I put thine enemies as footstool of thy feet." ---Darby Translation

The word rendered Jehovah in this translation is usually translated "LORD", but actually refers to the holy and personal name of the God of Israel, namely YHWH (however you chose to pronounce it,) whereas the term "my Lord" is a correct and literal translation of Adoni, and refers to Yeshua the Messiah.
The Messiah will indeed reign on earth in the millennial kingdom, (it seems even many Muslims believe this,) and his kingdom will include many lesser rulers beneath him.

Throughout the scriptures we hear of a hierarchy of things, as evidenced in the oft-repeat title "King of Kings".
Who is the king of kings?
God the Creator is the highest one. And Yeshua, his son, is also a king of kings, as there are many kings beneath him, perhaps angelic, perhaps resurrected saints (in regards to the coming age), and they have kings underneath them as well.
It is a principle elucidated here:

Luke, chapter 19:

12He said: “A man of noble birth went to a distant country to have himself appointed king and then to return. 13So he called ten of his servants and gave them ten minas.a ‘Put this money to work,’ he said, ‘until I come back.’

14“But his subjects hated him and sent a delegation after him to say, ‘We don’t want this man to be our king.’

15“He was made king, however, and returned home. Then he sent for the servants to whom he had given the money, in order to find out what they had gained with it.

16“The first one came and said, ‘Sir, your mina has earned ten more.’

17“‘Well done, my good servant!’ his master replied. ‘Because you have been trustworthy in a very small matter, take charge of ten cities.’

18“The second came and said, ‘Sir, your mina has earned five more.’

19“His master answered, ‘You take charge of five cities.’

So we see here the Messiah giving various degrees of authority and rulership to various saints, at the time of recompense, based on their spiritual growth.

The difference between this and Islam is that in Islam there appears to be a single judgment, at the end of time, whereas Yesua talks about a judgment at the beginning of the millennium, which will establish the order of things for a thousand years - and thereafter, at the end of the millennium, there is a different judgment, more akin to that which is discussed in Islam.

From my Hebraic Roots Commentary to Matthew at

http://nazarenespace.com/page/books-dvds

22:41-46  YHWH said to My Adon-  Having just completed an exchange in which Yeshua agreed with the Hillel Pharisee against the Sadducees, Yeshua throws in an Essene issue by citing Ps. 110:1.  Psalm 110 has YHWH speaking to “My Adon” and saying “Sit you at my right hand” then in verse 5 we learn that the Adon which sits at the right hand of YHWH is “Adonai”.  However Psalm 110:5 is one of 134 passages in which the Masoretic text reads “Adonai” but which the Massorah (notes to the Masoretic Text) states that the scribes had altered from YHWH to Adonai.  Thus the original reading of Psalm 110:5 identified the Adon on the right hand of YHWH ad YHWH.  Verse 4 of Psalm 110 identifies this figure as “Melchizadek.”  This Melchizadek figure was especially important to the Essenes.  One document found at Qumran commonly called the Melchizadek document (11Q13) deals with this Melchizadek figure.  This document quotes from Isaiah 61:1 but substitutes “Melchizadek” for YHWH.  The document goes on to call this Melchizadek figure both “El” and “Elohim” and to identify him with the Messiah who is “cut-off’ in Dan. 9:27.

There are also Rabbinic sources which identify the “My Adon” of Psalm 110:1 as Messiah and/or YHWH:

According to the Midrash Tehillim the second “Lord” in Ps. 110:1 is the Messiah:

The Lord said to my Lord,

Sit you at My right hand.

To the Messiah it will also be said,

and in mercy the throne be established;…

(Midrash Tehillim on Ps. 110:1)

According to the Zohar Ps. 110:1 has one aspect of the Godhead speaking to another aspect of the Godhead:

Rabbi Simeon further gave an exposition of the verse:

The Lord said to my Lord,

Sit at my right hand

Until I make your enemies your footstool (Ps. 110:1)

The Lord says unto my Lord”:

to wit, the upper grade [of the Godhead],

said to the lower [grade of the Godhead],

sit at My right hand”,…

(Zohar 1:50b)

i am glad you have given some sources to back-up.

greatly appraciate it.

still,  i am having difficulty understanding this multifarious concept of divinities [plural] --

because if אדן אדון 'âdôn 'âdôn  was other than יהוה Yahweh ,

then you are making  him equal to יהוה Yahweh, - which IS NOT in the text per se.

Analytical analysis

on the other hand if,  H113 אדן אדון 'âdôn 'âdôn aw-done', aw-done'

was  מלכּי־צדק malkîy-tsedeq mal-kee-tseh'-dek , as claimed,

then why appoint him 'AFTER the order of ', 

IF HE WAS already the original ETERNAL KHOHEN,

without a second or a co-equal,

as is indicated by the word 'AFTER'

the phrase, 'AFTER THE ORDER OF'? 

H113 אדן אדון 'âdôn 'âdôn  was appointed 'AFTER THE ORDER OF'

so they were DIFFERENT.

finally, we have another 'DIVINE BEING' namely,

THE WARRIOR - H136   אדני 'ădônây - ad-o-noy' 

who was already identified with H3068  יהוה yehôvâh yeh-ho-vaw'

in verse psalm 1 -

but was still different from him.

now the  אדן אדון 'âdôn 'âdôn  WAS sitting on the right hand of

H3068  יהוה yehôvâh yeh-ho-vaw';

whereas H136   אדני 'ădônây - ad-o-noy'   

WAS already sitted  on the right hand of

אדן אדון 'âdôn 'âdôn, as mentioned in Psalms 110:5.

so  again, they were clearly different.

this is the heirarchy i see and am trying to understand  in psalms 110.

all these divine persons -- sitting in the divine conference,  were not equal.

אדן אדון 'âdôn 'âdôn  was there to ask for help, and was told to 'SIT UNTIL', as also

shown by yashua later.

hi again  - you are kind and thank you.

however, H113 אדן אדון 'âdôn 'âdôn aw-done', aw-done'  [psalm  110:1],

appears to be different from THE WARRIOR -

H136   אדני 'ădônây - ad-o-noy' ,

who [latter] was already identified with H3068  יהוה yehôvâh yeh-ho-vaw'.

in verse psalm 1.

so only H136 may be identified with H3068 and not H113.

the Hebrew language makes that clear, not so the greek translation.

Solomon Avar said:

Great question.
And don't worry about the spelling of Yeshua/Yahushua, there are many variations.

I would suggest that these titles, Adon, Adonai, and others, are applied by the scriptures to many different subjects.
God is a Lord, and Yeshua is a lord, but in different ways.

Personally, I don't see any plurality within God at all, but he shares many titles.
This is done so as to identify the meaning of his aspects; it would be pointless to call God a king, if we don't even have human kings to give a reference point.
Therefore, human lords, and perhaps angelic lords, are given the title lord, so as to display an aspect of God; you could say "he's the only true lord", or "he's the only true father", but if we didn't have lords and fathers on earth these names would mean nothing to us, since we wouldn't understand their meaning.
Therefore God shares many titles with others.
ali hassan said:

hi again  - you are kind and thank you.

however, H113 אדן אדון 'âdôn 'âdôn aw-done', aw-done'  [psalm  110:1],

appears to be different from THE WARRIOR -

H136   אדני 'ădônây - ad-o-noy' ,

who [latter] was already identified with H3068  יהוה yehôvâh yeh-ho-vaw'.

in verse psalm 1.

so only H136 may be identified with H3068 and not H113.

the Hebrew language makes that clear, not so the greek translation.

still,  i am having difficulty understanding this multifarious concept of divinities [plural] --

Ali, salam aleykum,

the passage does not actually project multiple divinities. it does not even hint toward that idolatrous perception, right? just try to read again and analyse the semantic.

"the LORD (Tetra) said to my Lord" (his Boss). that is King David speaking.

here David sees that G-d has a Word (G-d is never speechless nor He loses vocabulary in every cosmic thing) this Word (proceeded from Him) He calls His Begotten-Son (see Ps. 2:7) whom he declared to the prophet David that soon this One shall be sent to become Messiah to Israel.

it is a prophetic vision of the Inner Being of One G-d, it is not a vision of two gods. it is like being given the chance to see the equation of your mind, you will see that your "intention/will" is different from your "term/word", they are two different faculties within one and the same Ali Hassan.

beryl

was salaam, beryl

thank you kindly.

in the most general sense of the word, i would agree with you.

however, the scripture psalm 110:1--5, was talking about specifics,

seen ONLY or mainly from a hierarchical viewpoint, as analyzed earlier.

[AGREED];

that said, similar verses come to mind, wherein clear distinction had been depicted.

allow me to explain by citing another scripture or two as an example :

(Psalms 45:7 Translit)

m'$aHaCa  

`elohiyM

:

`eloheyCa

$emeN   SaSON   maHaVareyCa  

thy God, [`eloheyCa ] -- [singular]

hath anointed thee [`elohiyM] [plural]

WITH the oil

of gladness

above thy fellows

[`elohiyM] -- [plural](?)

(Psalms 45:7 KJV)

therefore God,

m'$aHaCa  

`elohiyM

:

above thy fellows.

NOW these -- 'THY FELLOWS'  appear to be the humans Gods--elohiyM,

because they wore EARTHLY garments,

as did the `elohiyM, WHO was anointed and exalted

above 'THY FELLOWS' ;
 by THY GOD -- [`eloheyCa].

(Psalms 45:8 KJV)

All thy garments

and aloes,  

smell of myrrh,

and

cassia,

in other words, ONLY THY GOD - `eloheyCa , WAS ABOVE ALL the other GODS -- `elohiyM .

i hope my understanding of these passages is correct and please, pardon me if i am wrong.

COMPARE

(Hebrews 1:9 ASV) 

.....Therefore God,

thy God,

hath anointed thee

With the oil

of gladness

above thy fellows.

whereas the term "my Lord" is a correct and literal translation of Adoni, and refers to Yeshua the Messiah.

[AGREED] 

yahushua made reference to it too, depicting ONLY a spiritual relationship with David.

i had also quoted that verse earlier.

THE TEXT AND CONTEXT

(Matthew 22:42 ASV)  saying, What think ye of the Christ? whose son is he? They say unto him, The son of David.

(Matthew 22:43 ASV)  He saith unto them, How then doth David in the Spirit call him Lord, saying,

(Matthew 22:44 ASV)  The Lord said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, Till I put thine enemies underneath thy feet?

(Matthew 22:45 ASV)  If David then calleth him Lord, how is he his son?

Solomon Avar said:

Great question.

The psalm in question says:

v.1 "{Psalm of David.} Jehovah (YHWH) said unto my Lord (Adoni), Sit at my right hand, until I put thine enemies as footstool of thy feet." ---Darby Translation

The word rendered Jehovah in this translation is usually translated "LORD", but actually refers to the holy and personal name of the God of Israel, namely YHWH (however you chose to pronounce it,) whereas the term "my Lord" is a correct and literal translation of Adoni, and refers to Yeshua the Messiah.

[snip]

everybody thanks for your participation and valuable feedback.

i will not be able to reply  your posts for at least a week. i will

leave for Mombasa, an EA  seaport --  tonight. 

hope to enjoy

the ocean, white sands and sun for  1 afternoon, if time permits

regards and shalom

ali

that said, similar verses come to mind, wherein clear distinction had been depicted.

m'$aHaCa  

`elohiyM

:

`eloheyCa

Ali, can you post, or at least use, the real Hebrew texts, not the transliterated? i want to be sure what you are saying. also, please post the entire "phrase" or "passage" before you make issue or employ a word from it, just to make sure we are not speaking in two different frequencies.

i wait.

shukran.

ali hassan said:

was salaam, beryl

thank you kindly.

in the most general sense of the word, i would agree with you.

however, the scripture psalm 110:1--5, was talking about specifics,

seen ONLY or mainly from a hierarchical viewpoint, as analyzed earlier.

[AGREED];

m'$aHaCa  

`elohiyM

:

`eloheyCa

WITH the oil

of gladness

above thy fellows

[`elohiyM] -- [plural](?)

(Psalms 45:7 KJV)

therefore God,

m'$aHaCa  

`elohiyM

:

above thy fellows.

NOW these -- 'THY FELLOWS'  appear to be the humans Gods--elohiyM,

because they wore EARTHLY garments,

as did the `elohiyM, WHO was anointed and exalted

above 'THY FELLOWS' ;
 by THY GOD -- [`eloheyCa].

(Psalms 45:8 KJV)

All thy garments

and aloes,  

smell of myrrh,

and

cassia,

in other words, ONLY THY GOD - `eloheyCa , WAS ABOVE ALL the other GODS -- `elohiyM .

i hope my understanding of these passages is correct and please, pardon me if i am wrong.

COMPARE

(Hebrews 1:9 ASV) 

.....Therefore God,

thy God,

hath anointed thee

With the oil

of gladness

above thy fellows.

please and i beg you beryl,

do not respond to my posts with such language.

your faith is your faith and i have no right to question it.

hope you too, can extend the same courtesy to me

or better yet keep away from posts.

don't have much time to reply - on my break.

beryl etanah said:
do not muddle your antagonistic thoughts into the term. learn if you must.

ali,

aasef, i did not mean to offend.

i was assuming we have the same Avrahamic faith, it would be easy for you to understand the point that there is no hierarchy of gods in the given passage, but a manifestation of G-d's Inner Self.

there is only One G-d. i don't know why you must need to confuse your mind.

again, please use the Hebrew text not a transliteration so that i can rightly get your point. also, quote the entire "phrase" of the passage before you bring up a term from it. and if possible do not use Strong's or the like, they are only good for christians.

shukran.

beryl

ali hassan said:

please and i beg you beryl,

do not respond to my posts with such language.

your faith is your faith and i have no right to question it.

hope you too, can extend the same courtesy to me

or better yet keep away from posts.

don't have much time to reply - on my break.

beryl etanah said:
do not muddle your antagonistic thoughts into the term. learn if you must.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

LINKS

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by James Trimm.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service