Nazarene Space

Reading Torah weekly a command, tradition, or just a good thing?

4:16 YeweShua came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. He entered, as was his custom, into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read. 17 The book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. He opened the book, and found the place where it was written, 18 “The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach the glad tidings of Torah to the poor. He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim release to the captives, recovering of sight to the blind, to deliver those who are crushed, 19 and to proclaim the acceptable year of EWEY 20 He closed the book, gave it back to the attendant, and sat down. The eyes of all in the synagogue were fastened on him. 21 He began to tell them, “Today, this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing. Luka 4:16-21

 

Was the action of YeweShua; a command, tradition, or ust a good thing we should follow?

 

Was this practice instituted by EWEY, Moshe or Ezra?

 

Should we be imitators of YeweShua and do as He did, Shabbat Shalom? 

Views: 393

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

 

as is evident, there is no written mandate to read the parashiot every week. here in your quotation we observe Yeshua doing just the things commanded by the force of tradition.

 

unless you can show me how is it in chumash that the torah be divided into weekly reading.

Well said, Beryl.

 

Sure it it a "good thing". But a Torah requirement? I think not, when the Torah doesn't ever say it (or even imply it). And of course, Yeshua did it in "New Testament", times because many of His fellow Jews were doing it, as Beryl said, "by the force of tradition".


beryl etanah said:

 

as is evident, there is no written mandate to read the parashiot every week. here in your quotation we observe Yeshua doing just the things commanded by the force of tradition.

 

unless you can show me how is it in chumash that the torah be divided into weekly reading.

I tend to be skeptical towards commandments which Adam, Enoch and Noah could not even conceivably fulfill...
In fact, Moses himself died before the entire Torah was finished, so not even he could have fulfilled such a commandment.

 It happened, when Moses had made an end of writing the words of this Torah in a book, until they were finished, 31:25 that Moses commanded the Levites, who bore the ark of the covenant of Yahweh, saying, 31:26 “Take this book of the Torah, and put it by the side of the ark of the covenant of Yahweh your Elohim, that it may be there for a witness against you.

 Yes Moshe did finish the Torah.

 

 Moses commanded them, saying, “At the end of every seven years, in the set time of the year of release, in the feast of tents, 31:11 when all Israel has come to appear before Yahweh your God in the place which he shall choose, you shall read this Torah before all Israel in their hearing. 31:12 Assemble the people, the men and the women and the little ones, and your foreigner who is within your gates, that they may hear, and that they may learn, and fear Yahweh your God, and observe to do all the words of this law;
31:13 and that their children, who have not known, may hear, and learn to fear Yahweh your God, as long as you live in the land where you go over the Jordan to possess it.”

 

 So reading a portion is required by Torah

 

 Shabbat Shalom

Yahweh said to Moses, “Write you these words: for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

34:28 He was there with Yahweh forty days and forty nights; he neither ate bread, nor drank water. He wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the ten commandments. 34:29 It happened, when Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the testimony in Moses’ hand, when he came down from the mountain, that Moses didn’t know that the skin of his face shone by reason of his speaking with him.
34:30 When Aaron and all the children of Israel saw Moses, behold, the skin of his face shone; and they were afraid to come near him.
34:31 Moses called to them, and Aaron and all the rulers of the congregation returned to him; and Moses spoke to them.
34:32 Afterward all the children of Israel came near, and he gave them all of the commandments that Yahweh had spoken with him on Mount Sinai.
34:33 When Moses was done speaking with them, he put a veil on his face.
34:34 But when Moses went in before Yahweh to speak with him, he took the veil off, until he came out; and he came out, and spoke to the children of Israel that which he was commanded.
34:35 The children of Israel saw Moses’ face, that the skin of Moses’ face shone: and Moses put the veil on his face again, until he went in to speak with him. 35:1 Moses assembled all the congregation of the children of Israel, and said to them, “These are the words which Yahweh has commanded, that you should do them.
35:2 ‘Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be a holy day for you, a Sabbath of solemn rest to Yahweh: whoever does any work in it shall be put to death.
35:3 You shall kindle no fire throughout your habitations on the Sabbath day.’” 35:4 Moses spoke to all the congregation of the children of Israel, saying.

So Moses wrote the parts of the Torah that occur after his death?


Did he record his own death?

Or maybe part of Deuteronomy isn't really Torah in your view?
If so, does this mean we don't have to read those chapters?

sevynn leverette said:

 It happened, when Moses had made an end of writing the words of this Torah in a book, until they were finished, 31:25 that Moses commanded the Levites, who bore the ark of the covenant of Yahweh, saying, 31:26 “Take this book of the Torah, and put it by the side of the ark of the covenant of Yahweh your Elohim, that it may be there for a witness against you.

 Yes Moshe did finish the Torah.

 

 

 I guess the Torah lied Christian, but it does say it was completed, finished, done, an end. Yes all five books, i believe Moshe wrote then end as well as he wrote the creation account he did not see that portion either.

 

  Shabbat Shalom

Christian said:

So Moses wrote the parts of the Torah that occur after his death?


Did he record his own death?

Or maybe part of Deuteronomy isn't really Torah in your view?
If so, does this mean we don't have to read those chapters?

sevynn leverette said:

 It happened, when Moses had made an end of writing the words of this Torah in a book, until they were finished, 31:25 that Moses commanded the Levites, who bore the ark of the covenant of Yahweh, saying, 31:26 “Take this book of the Torah, and put it by the side of the ark of the covenant of Yahweh your Elohim, that it may be there for a witness against you.

 Yes Moshe did finish the Torah.

 

 

Every morning we recite blessings before learning Torah. When a man is called up to the Torah he repeats the blessing of "asher bachar banu" and afterwards says "asher nasan lanu". If he has already recited blessings on the Torah why does he need to say these two other ones?

Moshe Rabbeunu instituted a special mitzva to read publicly from the Torah every Shabbos. Ezra added on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos afternoon to insure that no Jew should pass three days without Torah learning. Since the public Torah reading is a specially instituted decree, we recite independent blessings on it (Responsa of Rashba; Rosh Berachos 1,13).

Every person who reads from the Torah makes a blessing afterwards as well. In truth, we are instructed to learn Torah day and night, and it is really not possible to recite an after blessing on Torah learning. This blessing merely marks the conclusion of one's aliya to the Torah (Beis Yosef 47).

http://www.torah.org/learning/tefilah/torahreadings.html

 

 Shabbat Shalom

 

R’ Zev Wolf Einhorn points out in his Perush Maharzu that it seems like Moshe had some sort of book of Genesis well before he descended from Mt. Sinai. Similarly, we find in Yalkut Shimoni on Chukat (247) Moshe informing Aharon of his impending death by reading from the book of Genesis. According to Reish Lakish, that the Torah was written at the end of the forty years, how could Moshe have already had a book of Genesis? The Talmud Yerushalmi in Megillah 3:4 tells us that Moshe instituted that the Torah be read on Shabbat, holidays, Mondays, and Thursdays and in Talmud Bavli, Bava Kamma 82a, it seems like that was done during the stay in the desert.

Shabbat Shalom

 

Right, at the end of 7 years, during Sukkot, as he text clearly states. Not the weekly Torah portions that are (by tradition) read on Sabbath.

sevynn leverette said:

 It happened, when Moses had made an end of writing the words of this Torah in a book, until they were finished, 31:25 that Moses commanded the Levites, who bore the ark of the covenant of Yahweh, saying, 31:26 “Take this book of the Torah, and put it by the side of the ark of the covenant of Yahweh your Elohim, that it may be there for a witness against you.

 Yes Moshe did finish the Torah.

 

 Moses commanded them, saying, “At the end of every seven years, in the set time of the year of release, in the feast of tents, 31:11 when all Israel has come to appear before Yahweh your God in the place which he shall choose, you shall read this Torah before all Israel in their hearing. 31:12 Assemble the people, the men and the women and the little ones, and your foreigner who is within your gates, that they may hear, and that they may learn, and fear Yahweh your God, and observe to do all the words of this law;
31:13 and that their children, who have not known, may hear, and learn to fear Yahweh your God, as long as you live in the land where you go over the Jordan to possess it.”

 

 So reading a portion is required by Torah

 

 Shabbat Shalom

Sounds like Rabbinic tradition, from a Rabbinic website. Not a bad tradition- in fact, a good one- that is just that: a good tradition.

sevynn leverette said:

Every morning we recite blessings before learning Torah. When a man is called up to the Torah he repeats the blessing of "asher bachar banu" and afterwards says "asher nasan lanu". If he has already recited blessings on the Torah why does he need to say these two other ones?

Moshe Rabbeunu instituted a special mitzva to read publicly from the Torah every Shabbos. Ezra added on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos afternoon to insure that no Jew should pass three days without Torah learning. Since the public Torah reading is a specially instituted decree, we recite independent blessings on it (Responsa of Rashba; Rosh Berachos 1,13).

Every person who reads from the Torah makes a blessing afterwards as well. In truth, we are instructed to learn Torah day and night, and it is really not possible to recite an after blessing on Torah learning. This blessing merely marks the conclusion of one's aliya to the Torah (Beis Yosef 47).

http://www.torah.org/learning/tefilah/torahreadings.html

 

 Shabbat Shalom

 

I'm not the one who said that the Torah lied...

As for Moses, he said "this Torah", lit. "this teaching / this instruction" referring to the specific commands given in that chapter or event - it was only later that "Torah" became a technical term used as a name for the pentateuch...
The Hebr. term Torah and variations thereof are used throughout the Scriptures to refer to "teachings", "instructions", even evil instructions; it is NOT a technical term that equals Pentateuch in every instance.


I must ask you to answer this again, without the attitude: did Moses write the portions concerning his own death ?

sevynn leverette said:

 I guess the Torah lied Christian, but it does say it was completed, finished, done, an end. Yes all five books, i believe Moshe wrote then end as well as he wrote the creation account he did not see that portion either.

 

  Shabbat Shalom

Christian said:

So Moses wrote the parts of the Torah that occur after his death?


Did he record his own death?

Or maybe part of Deuteronomy isn't really Torah in your view?
If so, does this mean we don't have to read those chapters?

sevynn leverette said:

 It happened, when Moses had made an end of writing the words of this Torah in a book, until they were finished, 31:25 that Moses commanded the Levites, who bore the ark of the covenant of Yahweh, saying, 31:26 “Take this book of the Torah, and put it by the side of the ark of the covenant of Yahweh your Elohim, that it may be there for a witness against you.

 Yes Moshe did finish the Torah.

 

 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

 

 

 

















 

LINKS

 

 

 

 

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by James Trimm.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service