Nazarene Space

Reading Torah weekly a command, tradition, or just a good thing?

4:16 YeweShua came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. He entered, as was his custom, into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read. 17 The book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. He opened the book, and found the place where it was written, 18 “The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach the glad tidings of Torah to the poor. He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim release to the captives, recovering of sight to the blind, to deliver those who are crushed, 19 and to proclaim the acceptable year of EWEY 20 He closed the book, gave it back to the attendant, and sat down. The eyes of all in the synagogue were fastened on him. 21 He began to tell them, “Today, this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing. Luka 4:16-21

Was the action of YeweShua; a command, tradition, or ust a good thing we should follow?

Was this practice instituted by EWEY, Moshe or Ezra?

Should we be imitators of YeweShua and do as He did, Shabbat Shalom? 

Views: 381

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For [in] six 8337 days 3117 the LORD 3068 made 6213 heaven 8064 and earth 776, the sea 3220, and all that in them [is], and rested 5117 the seventh 7637 day 3117: wherefore the LORD 3068 blessed 1288 the sabbath 7676 day 3117, and hallowed 6942 it.

Here we are again with the same command hidden in the context of the passage to cease and desisit and become refreshed, this command is the same, and i change NOT!

Unfortunately, we are not on the same page. Yes, I did ask to provide evidence from Torah. I see why you would think that this is it, but considering everything else that has been discussed, I don't agree with your interpretation, which seems to read into the text too much for my liking.

If Leviticus 23:3 was the only verse that mentioned Sabbath, I would readily give in. Yet in the face of everything else we've discussed, I must conclude that Leviticus 23:3 simply cannot be saying that it is required to assemble on Sabbath, or else the Torah would be filled with contradiction because of the places that indicate it is a day for literal rest.

My understanding is that Leviticus 23:3, taken in context of every other Scripture on the Sabbath (which makes it pretty clear that the Sabbath is a day of literal rest), is saying the following:

• We are to work for 6 days.
  • We are to set apart the seventh day.
  • It is to be a day of fellowship with one another, and with God.
  • It is to be recognized by everyone in all their dwellings (not in a corporate sense, but in an individual sense, as the tense is plural.).

I do not see any mention of:

• a reading schedule.
  • the whole nation coming together.
  • an organized, collected service.
  • a "day of stress", which is what the Christians have been doing for two thousand years.

Therefore, it is my conviction that I remain in my own home, hold fellowship with my own family, literally rest from the tiresome week, and rejuvenate for the week to come. This is the message I see the Scriptures teaching.

sevynn leverette said:

Six 8337 days 3117 shall work 4399 be done 6213 : but the seventh 7637 day 3117 [is] the sabbath 7676 of rest 7677, an holy 6944 convocation 4744; ye shall do 6213 no work 4399 [therein]: it [is] the sabbath 7676 of the LORD 3068 in all your dwellings 4186.

Leviticus 23:3 a command in Torah to read each Seventh Day a Shabbat, a gathering
the Topic is Shabbat reading, in Leviticus 23 which is a command to gather, assemble, stop working, we go off on another tangent, you said show me one scripture that says read, assemble on Shabbat and EWEY has lead me to this one, are we on the same page, this passage applies to the Chief appointed time to cease from work gather that is commanded by EWEY for the whole Yisraelite Commonwealth.
 Shalom

J. Jury said:

Actually that is incorrect.

Examine the following verses:

Exodus 20:11, For in six days YHWH made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but He rested on the seventh day. Therefore YHWH blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Exodus 23:12, "Six days do your work, but on the seventh day do not work, so that your ox and your donkey may rest, and so that the slave born in your household and the foreigner living among you may be refreshed."

In these passages, the word for "rest" used is not Shabbat, nor Shabbaton, but "Nuwach"; it literally means, first and foremost, to rest. Not "cease" as you assert, and not "assemble", but literally "rest". (The meaning is clear in the Greek, also.)

Nuwach:

1. to rest
    1. (Qal)
      1. to rest, settle down and remain
      2. to repose, have rest, be quiet
    2. (Hiph)
      1. to cause to rest, give rest to, make quiet
      2. to cause to rest, cause to alight, set down
      3. to lay or set down, deposit, let lie, place
      4. to let remain, leave
      5. to leave, depart from
      6. to abandon
      7. to permit
    3. (Hoph)
      1. to obtain rest, be granted rest
      2. to be left, be placed
      3. open space (subst)

sevynn leverette said:

Even that word you are quoting as "rest" is "shabbatton" refering to Shabbat as the head "appointed time" it is a literal translated as a day meaning cease and desist from labor and gather with the sacred assembly.

J. Jury said:

It's the bottom line for me because it's what YHWH said. Day of rest, not day of stress.

Now answer me this: how exactly is your belief any different than what Christians do?

sevynn leverette said:

" That what the christians have been doing for centuries" and that is my bottom line over EWEY, YeweShua, Moshe, and Torah?????

I have had a good time discussing with you this evening, but it is evident that, when it comes down to it, we will simply have to agree to disagree. I will state at this particular juncture, that I completely respect your opinion on the of interpretation the Scriptures, though I do certainly disagree with them.

My family has found immense joy in doing Sabbath the way I have been describing. No rules, no burdens, and no stress- just joy. When we first decided to keep Sabbath as a Day of Rest, it was a stark contrast to the many Christians around us, being constantly stressed out by having to go to church on Sundays. Many families around us have told us that they wish they could have a Day of Rest too. They don't need congregations, obligations, or Scripture readings- they just need the Day of Rest that God made and provided for them since the very beginning. For me, it's easy to see the benefit in treating Sabbath as such- it brings order, joy, and healing to the home.

If you, in turn, find that your interpretation brings such joy and refreshment to your family and your congregation, I can certainly respect and appreciate that, though it's certainly not for me.

Good evening, and shalom.

So you admit it's not obvious, but hidden, and only obvious to yourself. Case closed. Anything that requires "deep level" interpretation is NOT a straight-forward command. There are multiple layers of meaning and prophetic messages in all the commandments, but not "hidden commandments".

sevynn leverette said:

the same command hidden in the context

nice debate boys.

actually sevynn has a good case. there is attached an integral liturgy in shabbat in view of compulsory offerings during the day (Bamidbar 46:4). as to whether this should involve the nation the reply should be affirmative in view of the centrality of the temple. there was gathering and liturgy at the first and second temple times, but not in the concept of aliyas the way that they are compulsory in the three major feasts.

however, after the second temple these gatherings and reading became impossible, and shabbat liturgy went exclusively to the synagogues. there is no mandate in the written torah concerning this system, only the oral torah. J.Jury, not keeping the oral tradition as authoritative, may not bind himself in this.

further, however, the fact that Meshiah recognized and kept shabbat liturgies in the synagogue in His earthly life, (even if the temple was still standing), this should constitute divine confirmation of what oral tradition has remedied earlier. if Yeshua attended, listened, and participated in synagogue liturgy, those who follow Him must do the same in whatever gathering of messianics/nazarenes available nearby during shabbat. for no student can be greater than his master (Mat. 10:25).

shalom.

If the Anointed One kept, participated in the Shabbat readings as His custom with the Twelve for three and half years, each Shabbat, was this a teaching of what to do? Any tradition that was not in line the Twelve would ask YeweShua to explain it to them. However this teaching and example was confirm by the Word and Mouth of EWEY concerning all of Torah. I have heard the voice of many claim YeweShua as an extention of the Torah as what to do, BUT in this case not so much???? Hmmm what to do.........follow the Torah in the flesh or rebuke His very actions...placing yourself above the Master and His very actions each and every Shabbat recorded by the Ruach in Luka. however i have taken some time to seek more understanding of the Hebrew context of Shabat the verb in Genesis and the noun Shabbat in Exodus, In Genesis 2 the word Shabat as a root is a verb to cease the original; Teaching, Instruction, and Directive. And the five verbs used as "rest" in the Torah to describe rest as nuwach.  Let endurance have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. 5 But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of EWEY, who gives to all liberally and without reproach; and it will be given to him.

Shalom

If the Anointed One kept, participated in the Shabbat readings as His custom with the Twelve for three and half years, each Shabbat, was this a teaching of what to do?

He did such things in His entire earthly life. not only for three years. read some extra-canonical references for that.

Any tradition that was not in line the Twelve would ask YeweShua to explain it to them.

if you talk about torah halacha tradition it will be the rabbis to approach. but if you talk about salvation you will ask the apostles.

However this teaching and example was confirm by the Word and Mouth of EWEY concerning all of Torah.

you have lost the chumash reference over the issue against J.Jury after the Temple fell on 70AD. the only remedy via torah is through oral torah which Yeshua confirmed during His earthly life. that should not be difficult to understand.

shabbat shalom.

I also believe He did this His whole life, YeweShua was showing us His form of resting on Shabbat.

Shalom

Reply to Discussion

RSS

LINKS

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by James Trimm.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service