Nazarene Space

Reading Torah weekly a command, tradition, or just a good thing?

4:16 YeweShua came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. He entered, as was his custom, into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read. 17 The book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. He opened the book, and found the place where it was written, 18 “The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach the glad tidings of Torah to the poor. He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim release to the captives, recovering of sight to the blind, to deliver those who are crushed, 19 and to proclaim the acceptable year of EWEY 20 He closed the book, gave it back to the attendant, and sat down. The eyes of all in the synagogue were fastened on him. 21 He began to tell them, “Today, this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing. Luka 4:16-21

Was the action of YeweShua; a command, tradition, or ust a good thing we should follow?

Was this practice instituted by EWEY, Moshe or Ezra?

Should we be imitators of YeweShua and do as He did, Shabbat Shalom? 

Views: 386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In the Torah when Moshe was instructed to teach the sons of aYisrael, which is a portion of Torah, would that not be a Torah portion.

When the Yisraelites where commanded to work six days, that would leave the Sabbath for them to gather and be taught.

I know this line of reason is hard to comprehend for some.

I have sited two times passages for both of you, BUT Torah does not teach it????????

Shalom

Let's recount the facts:

Yes, you quoted three Scriptures. You quoted three Scriptures that have nothing to do with the subject at hand. (Luka 4:16-21, Deuteronomy 31:11-13, 25-26, Exodus 34:27-35:4) You may as well have claimed that the Torah prohibits the consumption of meat and cheese together based on Exodus 34:26. That's pretty much the same line of reasoning as the one you're using to try to prove Sabbath Torah readings from the verses you provided.

Again, please provide evidence from the Torah that supports your theory.

You then went on to quote two Talmudic sources (torah.org, jewishvirtuallibrary.org).

There's nothing about this line of reasoning that is difficult to understand, it's just a theory that is not based on the Torah.

sevynn leverette said:

In the Torah when Moshe was instructed to teach the sons of aYisrael, which is a portion of Torah, would that not be a Torah portion.

When the Yisraelites where commanded to work six days, that would leave the Sabbath for them to gather and be taught.

I have sited two times passages for both of you, BUT Torah does not teach it????????

Shalom

Work six days a week, a commandment??????

So if they worked six days a week by the mouth of EWEY when would they gather??????

35:1 Moses assembled all the congregation of the children of Israel, and said to them, “These are the words which Yahweh has commanded, that you should do them.

35:2 ‘Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be a holy day for you, a Sabbath of solemn rest to Yahweh: whoever does any work in it shall be put to death. 35:3 You shall kindle no fire throughout your habitations on the Sabbath day

This EWEY telling Moshe on the Sabbath?????????

Shalom

J. Jury said:

Let's recount the facts:

Yes, you quoted three Scriptures. You quoted three Scriptures that have nothing to do with the subject at hand. (Luka 4:16-21, Deuteronomy 31:11-13, 25-26, Exodus 34:27-35:4) You may as well have claimed that the Torah prohibits the consumption of meat and cheese together based on Exodus 34:26. That's pretty much the same line of reasoning as the one you're using to try to prove Sabbath Torah readings from the verses you provided.

You then went on to quote two Talmudic sources (torah.org, jewishvirtuallibrary.org).

There's nothing about this line of reasoning that is difficult to understand, it's just a theory that is not based on the Torah.

sevynn leverette said:

Shalom

Who says they needed to be gathered on Sabbath in the first place? I don't see that supported by the text. The text says they gathered. It does not indicate which day. Gathering itself is work, it could have been done any day.

sevynn leverette said:

So if they worked six days a week by the mouth of EWEY when would they gather??????

35:1 Moses assembled all the congregation of the children of Israel, and said to them, “These are the words which Yahweh has commanded, that you should do them.

35:2 ‘Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be a holy day for you, a Sabbath of solemn rest to Yahweh: whoever does any work in it shall be put to death. 35:3 You shall kindle no fire throughout your habitations on the Sabbath day

Shalom

J. Jury said:

Let's recount the facts:

sevynn leverette said:

Shalom

Really it does not say when to gather??????? you are a funny man :)

Shalom

J. Jury said:

Who says they needed to be gathered on Sabbath in the first place? I don't see that supported by the text. The text says they gathered. It does not indicate which day. Gathering itself is work, it could have been done any day.

sevynn leverette said:

Shalom

J. Jury said:

Let's recount the facts:

sevynn leverette said:

Shalom

Gather, yes. Sabbath, no.

I never said the text does not say to gather. I said the text does not say to gather on Sabbath.

I rest my case.

sevynn leverette said:

Shalom

J. Jury said:

sevynn leverette said:

Shalom

J. Jury said:

Let's recount the facts:

sevynn leverette said:

Shalom

you have no case or point, hehehe this is funny :)

Shalom

J. Jury said:

I rest my case.

sevynn leverette said:

Shalom

J. Jury said:

sevynn leverette said:

Shalom

J. Jury said:

Let's recount the facts:

sevynn leverette said:

Shalom

Here's the case, and here's the point: I'm pretty sure you're the only one who thinks you're right here. Which is fine- we're all entitled to our own opinion, no matter how far out, unchecked, and void of fact that opinion might be.

sevynn leverette said:

Shalom

J. Jury said:

I rest my case.

sevynn leverette said:

Shalom

J. Jury said:

sevynn leverette said:

Shalom

J. Jury said:

Let's recount the facts:

sevynn leverette said:

Shalom

if you say so, actually all the Rabbinical Sources believe it also, even YeweShua went each Shabbat, even Ezra went each Shabbat, the book of Acts says that Rav Shual went 84 Sabbaths in a row, i am not alone, i am not alone, even the Emissaries who were with YeweShua for three and half years went each Shabbat, i am not alone they all gathered each Sabbath.

Shalom

J. Jury said:

Here's the case, and here's the point: I'm pretty sure you're the only one who thinks you're right here. Which is fine- we're all entitled to our own opinion, no matter how far out, unchecked, and void of fact that opinion might be.

sevynn leverette said:

Shalom

J. Jury said:

I rest my case.

sevynn leverette said:

Shalom

J. Jury said:

sevynn leverette said:

Shalom

J. Jury said:

Let's recount the facts:

sevynn leverette said:

Shalom

You are correct it was by Rabbe Moshe, that has been EWEY point all along.

This is now, beloved ones, the second letter that I have written to you; and in both of them I stir up your sincere mind by reminding you; 2 that you should remember the words which were spoken before by the set-apart prophets, and the commandments of us, the apostles of the Master and Savior: 3 knowing this first, that in the last days mockers will come, walking after their own lusts.

First only you, now like i said before, i agree but not agree, in part but not in whole, on the surface, but not depth, in the beginning, i saw the end, i was blind but now i see, i am surprised, but never amazed.

Shalom

J. Jury said:

Just for clarification- I've said it before, I'll say it again- I have no issue with Torah readings, on Sabbath or on any other day. I can clearly see that it was a custom, and that the Rabbis recognized it as a good practice. I don't negate any of that. The point that I'm getting at- which has been consistent from day one- is that it wasn't laid out by Torah, and to claim otherwise is a blatant manipulation of the text, an example of converting God's Word to our own agenda.

If you want to do it- great, I have no problem with that- none whatsoever. It's just not for me. So, to each their own! :-D

sevynn leverette said:

if you say so, actually all the Rabbinical Sources believe it also, even YeweShua went each Shabbat, even Ezra went each Shabbat, the book of Acts says that Rav Shual went 84 Sabbaths in a row, i am not alone, i am not alone, even the Emissaries who were with YeweShua for three and half years went each Shabbat, i am not alone they all gathered each Sabbath.

Shalom

Blah. I'm tired of arguing about something we're never going to agree on. You do your thing, I'll do mine- not a big deal.

sevynn leverette said:

This is now, beloved ones, the second letter that I have written to you; and in both of them I stir up your sincere mind by reminding you; 2 that you should remember the words which were spoken before by the set-apart prophets, and the commandments of us, the apostles of the Master and Savior: 3 knowing this first, that in the last days mockers will come, walking after their own lusts.

First only you, now like i said before, i agree but not agree, in part but not in whole, on the surface, but not depth, in the beginning, i saw the end, i was blind but now i see, i am surprised, but never amazed.

Shalom

J. Jury said:

Just for clarification- I've said it before, I'll say it again- I have no issue with Torah readings, on Sabbath or on any other day. I can clearly see that it was a custom, and that the Rabbis recognized it as a good practice. I don't negate any of that. The point that I'm getting at- which has been consistent from day one- is that it wasn't laid out by Torah, and to claim otherwise is a blatant manipulation of the text, an example of converting God's Word to our own agenda.

If you want to do it- great, I have no problem with that- none whatsoever. It's just not for me. So, to each their own! :-D

sevynn leverette said:

Shalom

You have to have a point and understanding to argue.

Shalom

J. Jury said:

Blah. I'm tired of arguing about something we're never going to agree on. You do your thing, I'll do mine- not a big deal.

sevynn leverette said:

Shalom

J. Jury said:

sevynn leverette said:

Shalom

Reply to Discussion

RSS

LINKS

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by James Trimm.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service