Nazarene Space

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Seems strange to me that Ignatius would promote the term "bishop". Did X-tian promoters come up with the word (bishop) to promote their hidden agenda perhaps? Perhaps "overseer" would be a better choice? "Bishop" seems to have a lot of baggage attached to it.

No the word "bishop" has its equivalent in the hierarchy at Qumran

Mikha El said:

Seems strange to me that Ignatius would promote the term "bishop". Did X-tian promoters come up with the word (bishop) to promote their hidden agenda perhaps? Perhaps "overseer" would be a better choice? "Bishop" seems to have a lot of baggage attached to it.

MEVAKAR (Overseer) or "Pastor/Shepherd" he would lead the local congregation, feed the sheep and protects them from wolves.

Continuing with this thread diversion....

1) The HRV has Elder and Oversser. (1 Tim 3:1-2, 4-22, 1 Titus 1:7, 1 Peter 2:25)

2) If our basis for using the term is upon its use at Qumran, (...where?) why are there no "bishops" in the overseers of NJ?

James Trimm said:
"No the word "bishop" has its equivalent in the hierarchy at Qumran"

it is not about the word...

it is about its definition.

I had recently read all of these epistles and was thoroughly disappointed with their content. There is a consistent theme of promoting the fallacious doctrine of apostolic succession and ecclesial despotism. These are expressed to the extremity of actually exhorting readers to treat their bishops as Messiah, and deacons and overseers as the Apostles themselves, and to not do anything without the presence and approval of the bishop. The agenda behind whomever wrote these epistles was to solidify vain man's ecclesial tyrrany and its abuses. I was also able to find a critical review by the celebrated Dr. Lightfoot, where his main premise is that the epistles are entirely spurious.

https://depts.drew.edu/jhc/KillenIgnatius.pdf

" There is a consistent theme of promoting the fallacious doctrine of apostolic succession and ecclesial despotism. These are expressed to the extremity of actually exhorting readers to treat their bishops as Messiah, and deacons and overseers as the Apostles themselves, and to not do anything without the presence and approval of the bishop."

---nothing can be more correct than that. if the material is not spurious, it could have been produced by someone with that motivation.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

LINKS

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by James Trimm.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service