Nazarene Space

The Relationship of Paul to Jesus (Dr. J. Phillip Arnold)

My old friend and colleague D. J. Phillip Arnold wrote a chapter in the book Hillel and Jesus - Comparative Studies of Two Major Religious Leaders Edited by James H. Charlesworth and Loren L. Johns (1997).

Dr. Arnold wrote chapter 12 "The Relationship of Paul and Jesus". 

In chapter 12, J. P. Arnold addresses the assumed "paradigm of discontinuity" between Paul and Jesus. Arnold challenges past characterizations
of a Pauline school that was antithetical to Jesus' own thought and teachings.
This antithesis was most visible in the Tübingen school and has been
rearticulated most recently (in revised form) by G. Lüdemann. In contrast,
Arnold emphasizes the continuity between Paul and Jesus, primarily with
regard to Paul's knowledge and use of traditional material about Jesus.
More specifically, he points to evidence of Paul's appreciation of the
historical Jesus in Paul's "transmission of traditional material about
Jesus, his application of these traditions to the needs of Gentile converts,
and his defense of these traditions against opposing Jesus traditions which
represented ‘another Jesus’ and a ‘different gospel.’"

http://www.ambs.edu/LJohns/Hillel&Jesus.htm#12

In fact Dr. Arnold points out that Paul would never knowingly counter the teachings of Yeshua, because Paul believed Yeshua was YHWH.  Paul would therefor have striven to maintain great fidelity to the teachings of Yeshua.

Its a great chapter of a very good book.

Views: 116

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Paul did not believe that Yeshua was YHWH, but always claimed, after his conversion, that Yeshua is the Son of YHWH. YHWH is the Father; Yeshua is His Son.
I think people put to much time in justifying Paul by Paul. So lets look at the words of messiah above all.

Mat 23:9 And call no [man] your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

1Cr 4:15 For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet [have ye] not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

First of all Messiah said there is only one teacher second Messiah said call no man father. Paul says I am your father through the gospel.
lets go on to the next contradiction in teaching.

1Cr 4:16 Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.
Jhn 14:6 Yeshua saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

So why is paul telling people to follow him?

Mat 18:15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.

These are the instruction messiah gives us lets see how paul handles these instructions.
Gal 2:11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.

if we are to think this was a peacefull inconter than we are just being naive but it is clear that paul was not practicing the teachings of messiah.There is plenty more my argument is not wether paul kept the law or not but rather if his apostleship was authorized by for and by Yeshua Messiah.From the evidence I have gathered I see he is not an apostle.
More on this topic On YOUTUBE.COM and search Yeshua(jesus)My Authority.
The Apostles actually call Yeshua, God and YHWH in their epistles and in Acts (and so does the Torah call Yeshua, God);

11 For unto you is born this day Praq (Saviour) who is Mar Ya Meshicha, in the city of Daud. (Luke 2)
(In the Jewish Aramaic tongue Mar Ya is the equivalent and shorter form of YaHUaH/YeHOaH)

and he's called God by the Apostles;

He forgave sin which only God can do (Mark 2:5-12; Luke 7:47-50).
He placed His own words on par with the words of God (Matt 5:27f; 31f).
He spoke as being omniscient (Matt 17:27; Mark 2:8; Luke 9:46f; 11:17; John 1:48; 4:16-18).
He foretold the future (Matt 16:21; 24:25; 26:21-25; 31-25; John 21:18f).
Jesus controlled the weather which is the prerogative of God (Mark 4:39-41, compare Job 38:25-38).
He even promised direction and comfort to His followers based on His omnipresence (Matt 18:20; 28:20 cp. Heb 13:5 see also John 1:48; 3:13).
Attributes of God are ascribed to Jesus by others: Jesus is declared to be:
Omniscient (John 2:23-25; 16:30; 21:17)
Omnipresent (Eph 1:23; 4:10)
Omnipotent (Phil 3:21).
Eternally pre-existent (Isa 9:6; Micah 5:2; John 1:1; Col 1:17)
Immutable ( not able to change--Heb 1:8-12; 13:8).

Ed said:
Paul did not believe that Yeshua was YHWH, but always claimed, after his conversion, that Yeshua is the Son of YHWH. YHWH is the Father; Yeshua is His Son.
John 10 >>
New American Standard Bible

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parable of the Good Shepherd

1“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter by the door into the fold of the sheep, but climbs up some other way, he is a thief and a robber. 2“But he who enters by the door is a shepherd of the sheep. 3“To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4“When he puts forth all his own, he goes ahead of them, and the sheep follow him because they know his voice. 5“A stranger they simply will not follow, but will flee from him, because they do not know the voice of strangers.” 6This figure of speech Jesus spoke to them, but they did not understand what those things were which He had been saying to them.
7So Jesus said to them again, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. 8“All who came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. 9“I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. 10“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.

11“I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. 12“He who is a hired hand, and not a shepherd, who is not the owner of the sheep, sees the wolf coming, and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13“He flees because he is a hired hand and is not concerned about the sheep. 14“I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me, 15even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. 16“I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will hear My voice; and they will become one flock with one shepherd. 17“For this reason the Father loves Me, because I lay down My life so that I may take it again. 18“No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I received from My Father.”

19A division occurred again among the Jews because of these words. 20Many of them were saying, “He has a demon and is insane. Why do you listen to Him?” 21Others were saying, “These are not the sayings of one demon-possessed. A demon cannot open the eyes of the blind, can he?”

Jesus Asserts His Deity

22At that time the Feast of the Dedication took place at Jerusalem; 23it was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple in the portico of Solomon. 24The Jews then gathered around Him, and were saying to Him, “How long will You keep us in suspense? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly.” 25Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe; the works that I do in My Father’s name, these testify of Me. 26“But you do not believe because you are not of My sheep. 27“My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; 28and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. 29“My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. 30“I and the Father are one.”

31The Jews picked up stones again to stone Him. 32Jesus answered them, “I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?” 33The Jews answered Him, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God.” 34Jesus answered them, “Has it not been written in your Law, ‘I SAID, YOU ARE GODS’? 35“If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), 36do you say of Him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’? 37“If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me; 38but if I do them, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, so that you may know and understand that the Father is in Me, and I in the Father.” 39Therefore they were seeking again to seize Him, and He eluded their grasp.

40And He went away again beyond the Jordan to the place where John was first baptizing, and He was staying there. 41Many came to Him and were saying, “While John performed no sign, yet everything John said about this man was true.” 42Many believed in Him there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John 10 >>
37“If I do not do the works of My Father, do not believe Me; 38but if I do them, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, so that you may know and understand that the Father is in Me, and I in the Father.”
He is clearly Father yet son, at his Baptism the Father called him son, and the last supper he talked to the Father, but clearly was Father, for he came with his authority. He never did what he did not see the Father doing.
When the man Father if you read that he never said he wasn't only why he called him Father, he was clearly looking at that mans heart.

Ed said:

I agree! Yahshua ("Jesus") is not Yahweh ("God")! Nowhere in Scripture from where we are to get our doctrine for reproof and correction and instruction in righteousness does it ever say "Yahshua ('Jesus') IS Yahweh ('God')!" and nowhere in Scripture is Yahshua ever recorded as saying "I am Yahweh ('God')!".
The deity of Messiah is very easy to show from the Scriptures. The simplest way to show the deity of Messiah in the Scriptures is to point to instances where the “New Testament” quotes passages from the Tanak (“Old Testament”) and applies them to the Messiah.

For example in John 19:37, Zech. 12:10 is quoted:

But when they came to Yeshua, they saw that he was dead already
and did not break his legs.
But one of the soldiers stuck him in his side with a spear
and immediately blood and water came forth,…
For these things happened that the scripture might be fulfilled
which said, A bone of him will not be broken.(Ps. 34:21(20))
And again another scripture that said, They will look at him
whom they pierced. (Zech 12:10)

But now let us look at Zechariah 12:10 in context:

The burden of the word of YHWH concerning Israel.
The saying of YHWH, who stretched forth the heavens,
And laid the foundation of the earth,
And formed the spirit of man within him…
I will pour out upon the house of David,
And upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem,
The spirit of grace and supplication;
And they shall look at Me whom they pierced;
And they shall mourn for him, as one mourns for an only son….
(Zech. 12:1, 10)

The one being pierced in Jn. 19:37 is clearly Yeshua but the one being pierced in Zech. 12:10 is clearly YHWH.

Lets now look at the quotation of Is. 8:14 in Rom. 9:32:

Because it was not from faith but from “Works of the Law”,
for they stumbled at the stumbling stone.
(Rom. 9:32)

Now Paul is clearly referring here it Messiah, but lets now look at Is. 8:14 in context:

YHWH of hosts, Him shall you sanctify; and let Him be your
fear, and let Him be your dread. And He shall be for a sanctuary;
but for a stumbling stone and for a rock of offence
to both the houses of Israel…
(Is. 8:13-14)

Here it is clearly YHWH who is the “stumbling stone”.

OK now lets look at Phil. 2:10-11:

That at the name of Yeshua every knee will bow
that is in heaven or on earth and that is under the earth,
and every tongue will confess that Yeshua the Messiah is YHWH,
to the glory of Eloah the Father.

Here Paul clearly refer to Is. 45:23:

Thus says YHWH…
That unto Me every knee shall bow,
and every tongue shall swear.
(Is. 45:1, 23)

Clearly Paul applies a Tanak passage which clearly speaks of YHWH to the Messiah.

Now lets look at Rom. 10:9, 13:

And if you confess with your mouth our Adon Yeshua,
And you believe in your heart that Eloah raised him from the dead,
you will be saved. …
For all who will call on the name of YHWH will be saved.
(Rom. 10:9, 13)

Here Paul clearly quotes Joel 3:5 (2:32) but applies the passage to Yeshua despite the fact that Joel is clearly here speaking of YHWH.

There are several other examples: James 5:7 clearly speaks of the coming of Messiah as likened to the “former and latter rain” while in Hosea 6:3 this is clearly the coming of YHWH. Likewise Jude 1:14 & 1 Thes. 3:13 refer to the coming of Messiah yet quote 1Enoch 1:9 & Zech. 14:5 which clearly refer to the coming of YHWH. Finally in Mt. 22:41-46 Yeshua himself identifies himself with the “YHWH” at the right hand of “YHWH” in Ps. 110:1-2, 5.

Franklin Eugene Rhoads said:

Ed said:

I agree! Yahshua ("Jesus") is not Yahweh ("God")! Nowhere in Scripture from where we are to get our doctrine for reproof and correction and instruction in righteousness does it ever say "Yahshua ('Jesus') IS Yahweh ('God')!" and nowhere in Scripture is Yahshua ever recorded as saying "I am Yahweh ('God')!".

James Trimm said:
The deity of Messiah is very easy to show from the Scriptures. The simplest way to show the deity of Messiah in the Scriptures is to point to instances where the “New Testament” quotes passages from the Tanak (“Old Testament”) and applies them to the Messiah.

For example in John 19:37, Zech. 12:10 is quoted:

But when they came to Yeshua, they saw that he was dead already
and did not break his legs.
But one of the soldiers stuck him in his side with a spear
and immediately blood and water came forth,…
For these things happened that the scripture might be fulfilled
which said, A bone of him will not be broken.(Ps. 34:21(20))
And again another scripture that said, They will look at him
whom they pierced. (Zech 12:10)

But now let us look at Zechariah 12:10 in context:

The burden of the word of YHWH concerning Israel.
The saying of YHWH, who stretched forth the heavens,
And laid the foundation of the earth,
And formed the spirit of man within him…
I will pour out upon the house of David,
And upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem,
The spirit of grace and supplication;
And they shall look at Me whom they pierced;
And they shall mourn for him, as one mourns for an only son….
(Zech. 12:1, 10)

The one being pierced in Jn. 19:37 is clearly Yeshua but the one being pierced in Zech. 12:10 is clearly YHWH.

Lets now look at the quotation of Is. 8:14 in Rom. 9:32:

Because it was not from faith but from “Works of the Law”,
for they stumbled at the stumbling stone.
(Rom. 9:32)

Now Paul is clearly referring here it Messiah, but lets now look at Is. 8:14 in context:

YHWH of hosts, Him shall you sanctify; and let Him be your
fear, and let Him be your dread. And He shall be for a sanctuary;
but for a stumbling stone and for a rock of offence
to both the houses of Israel…
(Is. 8:13-14)

Here it is clearly YHWH who is the “stumbling stone”.

OK now lets look at Phil. 2:10-11:

That at the name of Yeshua every knee will bow
that is in heaven or on earth and that is under the earth,
and every tongue will confess that Yeshua the Messiah is YHWH,
to the glory of Eloah the Father.

Here Paul clearly refer to Is. 45:23:

Thus says YHWH…
That unto Me every knee shall bow,
and every tongue shall swear.
(Is. 45:1, 23)

Clearly Paul applies a Tanak passage which clearly speaks of YHWH to the Messiah.

Now lets look at Rom. 10:9, 13:

And if you confess with your mouth our Adon Yeshua,
And you believe in your heart that Eloah raised him from the dead,
you will be saved. …
For all who will call on the name of YHWH will be saved.
(Rom. 10:9, 13)

Here Paul clearly quotes Joel 3:5 (2:32) but applies the passage to Yeshua despite the fact that Joel is clearly here speaking of YHWH.

There are several other examples: James 5:7 clearly speaks of the coming of Messiah as likened to the “former and latter rain” while in Hosea 6:3 this is clearly the coming of YHWH. Likewise Jude 1:14 & 1 Thes. 3:13 refer to the coming of Messiah yet quote 1Enoch 1:9 & Zech. 14:5 which clearly refer to the coming of YHWH. Finally in Mt. 22:41-46 Yeshua himself identifies himself with the “YHWH” at the right hand of “YHWH” in Ps. 110:1-2, 5.

My response:

First of all, the Messiah is never referred to in Scripture as "deity" or "God". As for Zecharyah.12:10, this is most definitely a parabolic prophecy of Yahshua being pierced. It would be quite impossible for a mere man to stick Father Yahweh in the side with a spear LITERALLY, but in a FIGURATIVE sense it is possible. Take for example Yahshua ILLUSTRATIVELY saying:

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by MY FATHER; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Master, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his messengers. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' "They also will answer, 'Master, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' "He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.' "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life." (Mattithyah [Matthew] 25:34-46)

In this same manner, what someone has done unto Yahshua, FATHER Yahweh's SON, they also do unto FATHER Yahweh. When they pierced Yahshua they also pierced FATHER Yahweh in a FIGURATIVE sense.

Also note that Yahshua said "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by MY FATHER; ...". When he said "King" he was giving reference to himself, since it was his and our FATHER Yahweh that anointed and appointed His SON Yahshua to reign as King for 1,000 years. Yahshua also gave reference to Yahweh as "MY FATHER" in this same verse. Yahshua gave reference to two separate beings here in what he said. He gave reference to himself as "King" and he gave reference to Yahweh as his FATHER. It is clear that Yahshua is NOT his and our FATHER Yahweh!

As for your comparisons of the verses of Isayah 8:14 and Romans 9:32, both FATHER Yahweh and His son Yahshua are both referred to as a stumbling stone and a rock of offense, since they both were in unity and agreement with each other in that Yahshua taught what Father Yahweh instructed him to teach. This in no way proves that Yahshua is his FATHER Yahweh, since it clearly does not say this.

As for your translation of the verse Philippians 2:11, this is most definitely a faulty translation as is clear from comparing it to many other translations:

http://bible.cc/philippians/2-11.htm

This verse should be properly translated:

"... and every tongue confess that Yahshua Messiah is Master, to the esteem of Yahweh the FATHER."

Yahshua Messiah is most certainly our "Master", since it was FATHER Yahweh Who GAVE His SON ALL power (authority) in Heaven and in the Earth, as Yahshua himself had proclaimed. The translation that you used is simply somebody's perversion of FATHER Yahweh's inspired word that He had conveyed to His SON. The translator seems to have taken liberty in where the word commonly translated as "Lord" is used in the so-called "New Testament" to place Yahweh's Name there where they seemed it fit their false doctrine "Yahshua is Yahweh!" Yahshua is most certainly our Master ("Lord"), but he most certainly is NOT his and our FATHER Yahweh! Nowhere in Scripture, when properly translated, are we ever asked to confess and believe "Yahshua IS Yahweh!" What we are asked in Scripture to believe and confess is that Yahshua is the Messiah the SON of the living Yahweh. Yahweh is most certainly Yahshua's FATHER since he frequently referred to Him as such. Any simpleton knows that one can not be their own father!

As for the translation that you gave for Romans 10:9, 13, I have no problem with this translation. Let's look at a translation of these verses in their context:

That if you confess with your mouth, "Yahshua is Master," and believe in your heart that Yahweh raised him from the dead, you will shall be redeemed. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and shall be redeemed. As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in Him will never be put to shame." For there is no difference between Yahdahim and Gentile--the same Yahweh is Yahweh of all and richly blesses all who call on Him, for, "Everyone who calls on the Name Yahweh shall be redeemed."

Also compare other translations of this passage: http://bible.cc/romans/10-9.htm .

You said:

"There are several other examples: James 5:7 clearly speaks of the coming of Messiah as likened to the “former and latter rain” while in Hosea 6:3 this is clearly the coming of YHWH. Likewise Jude 1:14 & 1 Thes. 3:13 refer to the coming of Messiah yet quote 1Enoch 1:9 & Zech. 14:5 which clearly refer to the coming of YHWH."

My responce:

FATHER Yahweh is coming in spirit THROUGH (BY WAY OF) His SON Yahshua just as He did the first time.

You said:

"Finally in Mt. 22:41-46 Yeshua himself identifies himself with the “YHWH” at the right hand of “YHWH” in Ps. 110:1-2, 5."

My response:

Note the following translation and compare it with other translations:

He said to them, "How is it then that David, speaking by the Spirit, calls him 'Lord'? For he says,

http://bible.cc/matthew/22-43.htm

Here again, this particular translator has taken the liberty to insert Father Yahweh's Name where the word commonly translated as "Lord" appears. This time this translator is attempting to push the false "Two Yahwehs" doctrine. There are not two Yahwehs. There is ONLY ONE Yahweh Who is our Heavenly FATHER and Creator. Yahshua FATHER Yahweh's SON sits at His right hand. One can not sit at the right of one's self!
>First of all, the Messiah is never referred to in Scripture as "deity" or "God".

Really?

21 And behold, she will bear a son, and you will call His Name, Yeshua, for He will
save His people from all their sins.
22 And all this, was to fulfill what was spoken from YHWH by prophet Yesha'yahu,
saying,
23 Behold, the virgin will conceive, and bear a son, and will call His Name
Immanu'el [El with us] .
(Mt. 1:23 HRV)

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with Eloah, and the Word was
Eloah.
14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt with us, and we saw His glory: as the
glory of the only begotten who is from the father, who is full of grace and truth.
18 Man has not ever seen Eloah. The only begotten Eloah, that One who is in the
bosom of His Father, has declared Him.
(Jn. 1:1, 14, 18 HRV)

3 For I have prayed that I myself might be accursed from the Messiah, instead of my
brothers and kinsmen who are in the flesh,
4 Who are B'nai Yisra'el; to whom belong the adoption of sons, and the glory, and the
covenants, and the Torah, and the service that is in it, and the promises,
5 And the fathers: and from whom the Messiah was seen in the flesh. He who is Eloah
who is over all, to Him, [be] our praises and our blessings forever and ever. Amen.
Rom. 9:3-5 HRV

8 Beware lest a man should rob you, by philosophy and by empty deception, according
to the doctrines of the sons of men, and, according to the elements of the world, and not according to the Messiah,
9 In Whom, dwells all the fullness of the Godhead [Elhuta]; bodily.
(Col. 2:8-9 HRV)

While we look for the Blessed Hope--even the manifestation of the glory of the great
Eloah, even our Life-giver, Yeshua the Messiah,
(Titus 2:13 HRV)

1 Shim’on Kefa, a servant, and an emissary of Yeshua the Messiah: to those who have
obtained like precious Trust with us, by the righteousness of our Eloah and Savior
Yeshua the Messiah,
(2Peter 1:1 HRV)

>As for Zecharyah.12:10, this is most definitely a parabolic prophecy of Yahshua
> being pierced.

The speaker of Zech. 12:10 is YHWH, thus "they shall look upon ME whom they have pierced" is a reference to YHWH being pierced. And yes, it is fulfilled when Yeshua was pierced.

>As for your comparisons of the verses of Isayah 8:14 and Romans 9:32,
>both FATHER Yahweh and His son Yahshua are both referred to as a
>stumbling stone and a rock of offense, since they both were in unity
>and agreement with each other in that Yahshua taught what Father Yahweh
>instructed him to teach. This in no way proves that Yahshua is his FATHER
>Yahweh, since it clearly does not say this.

You miss the point, Paul quotes Isaiah 8:14 where the stumbling stone is plainly stated to be YHWH (in 8:13) but Paul applies the passage to Messiah.

>As for your translation of the verse Philippians 2:11, this is most \
>definitely a faulty translation as is clear from comparing it to many
>other translations:

Actually I do not need a translation at all.

11 And every tongue will confess,
that Yeshua the Messiah is YHWH,
to the glory of Eloah His Father.
(Phil. 2:11 HRV)

We know that "Lord" here is YHWH for two reasons.

First off Paul is quoting Isaiah 45:23-24 where "Lord" is YHWH. Secondly the Aramaic Peshitta text destinquishes between "Lord" meaning Master (MARON) and "Lord" meaning YHWH (MARYA) and the word here is MARYA (YHWH).

>You said:
>
>"Finally in Mt. 22:41-46 Yeshua himself identifies himself
>with the “YHWH” at the right hand of “YHWH” in Ps. 110:1-2, 5."
>
>My response:
>
>Note the following translation and compare it with other translations:
>
>He said to them, "How is it then that David,
>speaking by the Spirit, calls him 'Lord'? For he says,
>
>Here again, this particular translator has taken the liberty to insert
>Father Yahweh's Name where the word commonly translated as "Lord" appears.
>This time this translator is attempting to push the false "Two Yahwehs"
>doctrine. There are not two Yahwehs. There is ONLY ONE Yahweh Who is
>our Heavenly FATHER and Creator. Yahshua FATHER Yahweh's SON sits at
>His right hand.

From my Hebraic Roots Commentary to Matthew
(at http://www.lulu.com/nazarene )

Matt. 22:41-46 YHWH said to My Adon- Having just completed an exchange in which Yeshua agreed with the Hillel Pharisee against the Sadducees, Yeshua throws in an Essene issue by citing Ps. 110:1. Psalm 110 has YHWH speaking to “My Adon” and saying “Sit you at my right hand” then in verse 5 we learn that the Adon which sits at the right hand of YHWH is “Adonai”. However Psalm 110:5 is one of 134 passages in which the Masoretic text reads “Adonai” but which the Massorah (notes to the Masoretic Text) states that the scribes had altered from YHWH to Adonai. Thus the original reading of Psalm 110:5 identified the Adon on the right hand of YHWH ad YHWH. Verse 4 of Psalm 110 identifies this figure as “Melchizadek.” This Melchizadek figure was especially important to the Essenes. One document found at Qumran commonly called the Melchizadek document (11Q13) deals with this Melchizadek figure. This document quotes from Isaiah 61:1 but substitutes “Melchizadek” for YHWH. The document goes on to call this Melchizadek figure both “El” and “Elohim” and to identify him with the Messiah who is “cut-off’ in Dan. 9:27.

There are also Rabbinic sources which identify the “My Adon” of Psalm 110:1 as Messiah and/or YHWH. According to the Midrash Tehillim the second “Lord” in Ps. 110:1 is the Messiah:

The Lord said to my Lord,
Sit you at My right hand.
To the Messiah it will also be said,
and in mercy the throne be established;…
(Midrash Tehillim on Ps. 110:1)

According to the Zohar Ps. 110:1 has one aspect of the Godhead speaking to another aspect of the Godhead:

Rabbi Simeon further gave an exposition of the verse:
The Lord said to my Lord,
Sit at my right hand
Until I make your enemies your footstool (Ps. 110:1)
“The Lord says unto my Lord”:
to wit, the upper grade [of the Godhead],
said to the lower [grade of the Godhead],
“sit at My right hand”,…
(Zohar 1:50b)

>One can not sit at the right of one's self!

Are you saying you do not believe YHWH is omnipresent? If you do then you KNOW that is a dishonest argument, and I have to ask why you would intentionally use an argument you know is dishonest.
The Word of YHWH Revealed Part 1
Also see these articles

The Word of YHWH Revealed Part 2
The Word of YHWH Revealed Part 3
The Word of YHWH Revealed Part 4

Deity of Messiah Part 1
Deity of Messiah Part 2
Deity of Messiah Part 3
Deity of Messiah Part 4
Deity of Messiah Part 5

At: http://wnae.org/articles.htm

Reply to Discussion