Nazarene Space

Shalom Everyone, I was wondering if someone had a reasonable explanation for Romans 3:19-24, especially verse 21:

Rom 3:19-24
(19)  Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before Elohim.
(20)  Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
(21)  But now the righteousness of Elohim without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
(22)  Even the righteousness of Elohim which is by faith of Yeshua Messiah unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
(23)  For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of Elohim;
(24)  Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Messiah Yeshua:

What is the "righteousness of Elohim WITHOUT the Law?"  Blessings in The Name, ImAHebrew.

Views: 288

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think the verse is saying that since no human can successfully keep the law perfectly, we can attain the righteousness of Elohim by another means entirely, namely by faith in Messiah.  He kept the law perfectly, something which all humans are incapable of doing.

Shalom Yirmeyahu, thank you for responding.  I was hoping you might be able to explain how faith in Messiah attains the righteousness of Elohim?  Blessings in The Name, ImAHebrew.

Shalom ImAHebrew,

My understanding is that our faith allows Father YHWH to attribute that righteousness to us as a free gift.  In the Tanach one of the Divine Names is YHWH Tsidqeinu - YHWH our Righteousness.  That explains the phenomena imo.  True and absolute "righteousness" does not belong to the mere human being.  Perfection belongs only to God.

That free gift should cause us to want to walk in YHWH's ways and emulate His (and Messiah's) personality traits, causing us to take care of the orphan, love our neighbor (even if they are a Karaite, for instance), seek the benefit of others instead of trying always to receive for selfish purposes,  and to love YHWH Eloheinu YHWH with all our mind, soul and strength.

Hope that helps.

Shalom Yirmeyahu, thank you so much for explaining a little further.  And just to clarify, I assume that you in referring to "that righteousness," which is a free gift, was the substituted righteousness of Yeshua.  And I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, but this doctrine of taking Yeshua's righteousness and substituting it as OUR righteousness, isn't really at all the faith that I have.

Hopefully you will let me explain.  When I look at righteousness, it see the commandments of Elohim:

Psa 119:172
(172)  My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness.

Deu 6:24-25
(24)  And YHWH commanded us to do all these statutes, to fear YHWH our Elohim, for our good always, that he might preserve us alive, as it is at this day.
(25)  And it shall be our righteousness, if we observe to do all these commandments before YHWH our Elohim, as he hath commanded us.

And you have Scriptures which state that only DOERS of the Law are righteous, and unless YOUR righteousness exceeds that of the Scribes and Pharisees, in no case will one enter:

Rom 2:13
(13)  For not the hearers of the law are righteous before Elohim, but the doers of the law shall be righteous.

Mat 5:20
(20)  For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

So, just what is this righteousness that is given to us as a GIFT (Elohim's Grace).  As simply as I can put it, it is the doing of what the Torah required ALL sinners to do when they have sinned in ignorance:

Lev 4:27-29
(27)  And if any one of the common people sin through ignorance, while he doeth somewhat against any of the commandments of YHWH concerning things which ought not to be done, and be guilty;
(28)  Or if his sin, which he hath sinned, come to his knowledge: then he shall bring his offering, a kid of the goats, a female without blemish, for his sin which he hath sinned.
(29)  And he shall lay his hand upon the head of the sin offering, and slay the sin offering in the place of the burnt offering.

The free gift of righteousness that all sinners receive through faith is the belief that Yeshua is THEIR sin offering, and that they did lay their hands upon His head, and did slay Him with the help of wicked men.  This is the righteousness that we receive through faith, and this free gift from Elohim proves that we are sinners:

Gal 2:17
(17)  But if, while we seek to be justified (made righteous) by Messiah, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Messiah the minister of sin? Elohim forbid.

You had to be found a sinner to receive this righteousness, this Gift of Grace.  Paul taught that everyone's sin crucified Yeshua, and that if one falls back into deliberate sin (where they would need to be brought to repentance again), they would be crucifying Yeshua again (Heb 6:6), and this is not allowed.  So you see, everyone's sin is TURNED into righteousness (a doing of the Torah's just requirement-sacrificing for sin) in the death and sacrifice of Yeshua.  But this DOING of the Torah is not according to the letter or WORKS of the Torah, rather it is according to the Spiritual Fulfillment of the Torah. 

The Jews of Paul's day, for the most part, stumbled over this doctrine of Grace.  They would take what Paul said concerning how our sin did kill/sacrifice Yeshua, resulting in us receiving the Free Gift of Righteousness, and turn it into "let us do evil, so that good may come." (Rom 3:8)  Or let us sin all the more so that Grace may abound (Rom 6:1).  They didn't realize that the PURPOSE of Elohim's Grace was to TEACH us to flee from and overcome sin (Titus 2:11-15).  This free gift of righteousness is obtained by walking according to the Spiritual side of the Torah, and by it, WE fulfill the righteous requirement of the Torah (Rom 8:1-4), and it surely is not Yeshua's substituted righteousness (Ezek 14:14,20).

Let me know what you think about this explanation for Elohim's Grace-the Free Gift of Righteousness.  Blessings in The Name, ImAHebrew.

Sounds right to me.

Shalom Yirmeyahu, me also.  But it begs the question, why would YHWH develop a plan where He would give sinners this Free Gift of Righteousness, just because they sinned?  It's very clear to me that YHWH has used our sin to perform the righteousness we receive as a gift (our sin killed/sacrificed Yeshua, thus making us a doer of the Torah with respect to sacrificing for sin), but what's the purpose behind it, why would He devise such a plan?  And thanks for speaking with me on this.  Blessings in The Name, ImAHebrew.

I see it like this:  all of mankind is imperfect, some more than others.  God gave us free will.  Some imperfect humans use that free will to live dissolutely, and some choose to live as sons of the light.  Those who choose to live as sons of the light enroll themselves in the family tree of YHWH via imputed righteousness through the  merit of Messiah's sacrifice.

In my opinion it is a matter of inherent sin, free will, and the way to Teshuvah. The purpose behind it is that we can be reunited to YHWH even though we are sinful.

Shalom Yirmeyahu, thank you again so much for responding.  I think I understand what you are saying, and there are many that feel mankind has a free will, but I would ask, why hasn't anyone exercised their free will and then not sin?  The Apostle Paul was fairly clear about that fleshly mankind cannot and will not obey Elohim, that is was impossible (Rom 8:7-8).  Yeshua said that all who sin are slaves to sin (John 8:34), and slaves do not have a free will (they have to do their master's bidding).  And here is the kicker, Paul states that mankind did not chose to be enslaved in this sinful state of moral depravity, rather it was the Creator who subjected mankind to this condition:

Rom 8:20
(20)  For the creation was subjected to futility (G3153-moral depravity), not willingly, but because of Him (The Creator) who subjected it, in hope

You see, you are right about the sons of light.  They are the ones who have been redeemed from this subjected futiltiy by coming into the knowledge of what that futility caused, namely, the suffering and death of Yeshua.  This is how the "Lamb" of Elohim TAKES away sin, by first allowing us to experience this fleshly condition and then showing us the consequences of that state.  Elohim wants to fully teach manking ABOUT sin and how He distains it, and the best way for Him to do it was to have created mankind FLESH and then redeem them out of the fleshly/sinful condition.

Does this make any sense at all?  Blessings in The Name, ImAHebrew.

Shalom ImAHebrew,

I am not sure I agree fully with the last sentence you wrote (if I understood it correctly). You wrote: 

Elohim wants to fully teach manking ABOUT sin and how He distains it, and the best way for Him to do it was to have created mankind FLESH and then redeem them out of the fleshly/sinful condition.

I agree with the first two thirds, but not the "then redeems them out of the fleshly sinful condition" unless you are talking about a future fulfillment of the redeeming out of the fleshly sinful condition. 

To me this statement is unscriptural.  See, I am of the opinion that Yahushua did not do away with the law, rather he made it more strict!  Before the law said one could not commit adultery.  Yahushua went even further and said that one may not look at another human with lust, and if he/she does he/she commits a sin. 

Likewise, he said that the old law was eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth.  That is a law that satisfies the carnal desire that we experience that manifests itself as a desire for revenge if someone steps on our shoe, or insults us, or steals from us.  Human nature immediately makes us want revenge.  It is bigger than us.  We can't help it.  And so, being weak mortal humans we transgress the law even if we never act on the evil impulse.  We were supposed to turn the other cheek, and that is the perfect loving response.  But often we are not capable.  I speak for myself, but I suspect the same thing is equally valid for others as well.

Yahushua said we are to love our enemies.  How many people at this website of, for the most part, spiritually enlightened believers get stumbled in connection with this thing Yahushua said!  We want to disdain the Karaites, or the Christians, or the Rabbis, or our co-worker, or our neighbor, etc etc... And I am to be included in that group as well.  I am striving to do better in this area.   If, instead, and this is extremely difficult, we love those who are our enemies we will be the children of our Father who is in the heavens. 

These precepts seem fairly simple, but if you actually sit down and meditate on them (Matthew 5:27 - 48) then you will find that it is actually quite impossible in practice to uphold every one of these precepts at all times. If you are honest that is the only conclusion you can come to. Verse 48 exhorts us to "be perfect as your Father in the Heavens is perfect".  Good luck!  I will be the first to admit I cannot attain to this level of perfection.

So even though I strive to be a son of the light, I am not under any illusion that I have not any sin in me.  The law amendments enacted by Yahushua actually made the law stricter such that I cannot even come close to keeping it perfectly.  Thus I recognize myself, in spite of myself, as fully still in a state of imperfection. I do my best but still fall short.  And thats ok, as long as I am righteous a vast majority of the time.  If I (or anyone else) says they are perfect they are lying.

1 John 1:9-10

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

I was living above the commands of the law by nature and then I went through some testing and feared I was rejected by our father in heaven and there was no hope for me.  No matter how righteous we are or think we are in keeping the law we can't go to our uncreated creator and ask him to save us based on that.  We rely on him giving us the power/ ability to obey him and we rely on his mercy.
Kind of stupid to believe anything we do in keeping the law can undo what we did in not keeping it inwardly and outwardly.  Even though Adam was in a perfect environment there was sin in him.  When he sinned he could not go back to Eden by stopping eating the forbidden fruit cause it changed him.

Even if we keep the law entirely with our outer man we are sinning if it is not by our inner man.

I believe he gave the free gift to create a few eternal vessels.  Awareness cures and the law makes us aware of sin but why do you need a law to tell you not to kill or steal?    

Reply to Discussion

RSS

LINKS

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by James Trimm.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service