Nazarene Space

Were books from the Old Testament lost to antiquity renewed in the Apocrypha?

How much of the oral traditions of the Jews and the Christians spread thorughout the world into other cultures over 2000 years made a difference for today...is it to our benefit, or shall we wait (6 months :))

and remold the clay on the potter's wheel. I ask simply about the books lost to antiquity, if they are renewed in the Apocrypha? Are we using the Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha at their greatest utilization for the greatest benefit...we're still learning...One scripture comes from the book of Wisdom, which really blows me away Its.Wisdom 7:32-8:1. From the Catholic Deutrocanonical section. I use a Catholic Youth Bible. I'm not a youth. At 55 I began to peruse the apocrypha at 17 years of age. As a Catholic I thought it was the forbidden end all sin...doggonit I laugh at that today...so much of our oral traditions comes from stranger books...and in the strangest places both ancient and modern. A scribe brings out things both new and old.

Joseph Dumontelle

jadumontelle@yahoo.ca

Sudbury, Canada

Views: 162

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The author of the work is a I believe some sort of Jewish background, perhaps Messianic Jew...He has a Super Tube channel. You can see his work on that website. That sort of thing is springing up certainly in Canada and the U.S. Not to upset unity in congregations, unity is important, and everyone has a purpose, I respect the Jewish people; sometimes because I was born after Israel was created, I really don't understand why Israel was created then. Although I've seen what maybe the (and I'm not imagining it, an Antichrist in Israel) Or what others would call an evil man. He's also on YouTube. Later

Joseph Dumontelle

Canada

Joseph,

I came across this statement in the attached...

guote:

The holy and majestic Virgin Mary was born in the city of Nazareth,descended from David’s royal bloodline, and received her instruction in the Lord’s temple in Jerusalem.

Do you believe this?  

Yes

Fair enough. Then please enlighten me!  Where do we find it stated that "Mary" was born in Nazareth?

Are we using the Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha at their greatest utilization for the greatest benefit...we're still learning...

-- just to share my thought: i personally believe that although many extra-canonical writings can be "useful" to certain degree, talking of sanctifying one's self the chumash (5 books) are enough, and for the new dispensation the book of Matthew is also enough.

Explain the Chumash, is that the 5 books beginning with Genesis?

Protevangelion of James

Mikha El said:

Fair enough. Then please enlighten me!  Where do we find it stated that "Mary" was born in Nazareth?

Can't find it there either.... (Not that I agree with this book being biblicaly canonical)

XIX. I And behold a woman coming down from the hillcountry, and she said to me: Man, whither goest thou ? And I said: I seek a midwife of the Hebrews. And she answered and said unto me: Art thou of Israel ? And I said unto her: Yea. And she said: And who is she that bringeth forth in the cave ? And I said: She that is betrothed unto me. And she said to me: Is she not thy wife? And I said to her: It is Mary that was nurtured up in the temple of the Lord: and I received her to wife by lot: and she is not my wife, but she hath conception by the Holy Ghost.

Technically Chumash just means "five" however I think Chumash in practice refers to Torahs (pentateuch, the 5 first books) but with added commentaries and other rabbinic miscellania.

But Beryl probably just is referring to the Pentateuch itself, without the additionals.
Joseph Dumontelle said:

yes the ones called "Pentateuch" amongst christians. the term "chumash" has the root "chamesh" =5 the five books of Moshe ravinu.

Joseph Dumontelle said:

yes. i mean Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers & Deuteronomy in the christian parlance. that is what we (amongst orthodox) call the Torah sheb-kutiv --or the written Torah. in comparison, the Mishnah is the Torah sheb-al-piy --the oral Torah; this one is an indispensable guide to understanding and applying the written Torah. however, the non-Jews may dispense with the latter and take their own line of oral disciplines. in any way, oral authority is always there even among christians up to this day, their varying interpretations over one passage is one proof that each one holds to his own "oral" authority which is the authority to interpret with finality. just the same.

Hošiyya Āmad said:

Technically Chumash just means "five" however I think Chumash in practice refers to Torahs (pentateuch, the 5 first books) but with added commentaries and other rabbinic miscellania.

But Beryl probably just is referring to the Pentateuch itself, without the additionals.
Joseph Dumontelle said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

LINKS

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by James Trimm.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service