1.Deuteronomy 31:26 - Take this book of the law, and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee.
2. Jeremiah 31:33 - But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
3. Romans 5:12 - Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another.
So, putting this all together, we can see that the Ark of the Covenant was a typology of the human heart, because YHWH had Moses put the Torah in the Ark of the Covenant, compared to He put the Torah in our hearts. The Torah in the Ark of the Covenant was to bear witness against humans, compared to the conscience bearing witness against humans, as a result of the Torah being written in their hearts. In addition:
4. Leviticus 16:2 - And the LORD said unto Moses, Speak unto Aaron thy brother, that he come not at all times into the holy place within the vail before the mercy seat, which is upon the ark; that he die not: for I will appear in the cloud upon the mercy seat.
5. Though the Bible does not say it directtly, we know that YHWH dwells in the human heart by His Holy Spirit; Ezekiel 11:19-20 - And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh: That they may walk in my statutes, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God.
So, also in common, the Ark of the Covenant and the human heart both provide a place of residency for YHWH.
6. Hebrews 9:4 - Which had the golden censer, and the ark of the covenant overlaid round about with gold, wherein was the golden pot that had manna, and Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of the covenant.
Aaron's rod stood for the Messiah. Both the Greek (rhabdos) and the Hebrew word (matteh) describe a rod as a branch, and Jesus (Yeshua) is THE BRANCH. Jeremiah 31:15 - In those days, and at that time, will I cause the Branch of righteousness to grow up unto David; and he shall execute judgment and righteousness in the land.
The manna stood for THE BREAD OF LIFE, which is Messiah. John 6:33 - For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world. John 6:48 - I am that bread of life.
And being that the Torah was placed in the Ark of the Covenant, we know that Yeshua is also the Living Torah, as He is the Word. John 1:14 - And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
So, in conclusion, the Ark of the Covenant is a picture of the human heart. The Ark of the Covenant contained manna, a rod and the Torah. Man's heart also contains the same, in that each represent the Messiah.