Nazarene Space

Hi all would like input on Acts 2:42.

What is the Apostle's doctrine? As we know there are many churches that either adopt supercessionism or dispensationalism.

Marc

Views: 35

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Act 2:42 And they were continuing steadfastly in the teaching of the emissaries, and in the fellowship, and in the breaking of bread, and in the prayers.

Ditto Melinda's comment. Consider also Rabbi Sha'ul's (Paul's) comments here:

Act 28:17 And it came to be after three days that Sha’ul called the leaders of the Yehuḏim together. And when they had come together, he said to them, “Men, brothers, though I have done none at all against our people or the practices of our fathers, I was delivered as a prisoner from Yerushalayim into the hands of the Romans,
Paul was a student of Gamiliel the grandson of Hillel excelled in Judaism more than many of his peers. He also studied three years with the Essene-Nazarenes of Damascus thus mastering Essene Judaism as well. He also seems to have been s'mikah by the three "pillars" Kefa, Ya'akov and Yochanan (Gal. 2:9). If you read the whole story, you will find that Paul was wrongly accused and though he could have been released, he demanded as a Roman citizen to bring his case to Caesar in Rome, in order to bring his false accusers to legal accountability.

Ben Masada said:
Shalom Mikha el,

There are two things I do not understand in your reply: One is that I don't recall who ordained Paul as a Rabbi. Only two religious organizations could have done that: Mainstream Judaism and the Sect of the Nazarenes. And none of these could have never done that. So, why Rabbi Paul?

The second thing is the underlined statement, "I have done none at all against our people or the practices of our fathers." If you read Acts 21:21 you will see that he used to preach against Moses, the circumcision and the customs of the Jews. This is something against the practices of our fathers. Besides, he had arrived in Rome as a prisoner exactly because he had been arrested in Jerusalem for disturbances in the Temple. How could he lie to the Jews in Rome by denying why he had been arrested?

Ben
Paul was a student of Gamliel according to Acts 22:3.

In Acts we read about Paul just before he became a believer in Messiah:

Now Shaul was yet full of the threat and anger of
murder against the talmidim of our Adon. And he
asked for letters from the Chief Cohen to give to
Darm’suk (Damascus) to the synagogues, that if he
should find any who follow in this way, men or
women, he might bind and bring them to
Yerushalayim.
(Acts 9:1-2)

Now why word Shaul want to go to Damascus to pursue the followers of Yeshua? The first followers of Yeshua were from the Essenes. Essene Judaism was born in Damascus and its followers, like the Nazarenes, called their movement “the Way”.

Now while on his way to Damascus Paul encounters the resurrected Yeshua and himself becomes a believer in Yeshua as the Messiah (Acts 9:3-7). AS instructed by Yeshua, Paul enters Damascus and makes contact with the followers of Yeshua there (Acts 9:8-19). In his letter to the Galatians Paul describes these events as follows:

And I did not go to Yerushaliyim to the emissaries
who were before me, but I went to Arabia and again
returned to Darm’suk (Damascus), and after three
years, I went to Yerushalayim to seek Kefa and
remained with him fifteen days.
(Gal. 1:17-18)

Why did Paul remain for three years in Damascus? Because it took three years to be fully admitted into the Essene community. As Josephus writes:

But now if any one has a mind to come over to their sect, he is not immediately admitted, but he is prescribed the same method of living which they use for a year, while he continues excluded'; and they give him also a small hatchet, and the fore-mentioned girdle, and the white garment. And when he has given evidence, during that time, that he can observe their continence, he approaches nearer to their way of living, and is made a partaker of the waters of purification; yet is he not even now admitted to live with them; for after this demonstration of his fortitude, his temper is tried two more years; and if he appear to be worthy, they then admit him into their society.
(Wars 2:8:7)

Paul went through the entire process of learning the ins and outs of Essene Judaism. These studies also shaped Paul’s thinking.

Paul said he was arrested for believing in the resurrection because thr real motives of his enemies was that they hated his belief in the resurrection of Yeshua.

Ben Masada said:
Well, Mr. Trimm,

After Paul's experience on the Road to Damascus he went to Damscus, preaching his gospel in the Synagogues of the Jews, and continued to Arabia doing the same kind of work. I find nowhere that he studied with the Essenes in Damascus. (Gal. 1:15-20) And that he was a student of Gamaliel, I find nothing either in Acts or throughout his Letters. Only his word, which enjoys no credibility amongs the Jews. And only once when he was arrested and afraid
to be delivered to be judged by the Jews. (Acts 22:3) Than again, he was an expert at doing that. Why do I say so? Because he knew why he had been arrested: For spreading his teachings everywhere against our Law and the Sanctuary. (Acts 21:28,29) Nevertheless, before the Sanhedrin Court he claimed that he had been arrested because of his hope in the resurrection, which was not true. (Acts 23:6)

Now, if he was wrongly accused, the normal course would be to present some kind of defense, and Paul didn't say a word, as an evidence that everything was correct. On the contrary, although not being under vow, he accepted the ill-advice of James to camouflage himself as a Law observer in the Temple in order not to be detected. I understand James because he was trying to avoid another havoc like the one Paul had caused in Jerusalem 14 years before, when he showed up preaching the Yeshua was the Messiah, son of God, and that he had resurrected, and almost got killed for preaching heresy in Jerusalem. But it didn't help because he was indeed arrested and taken to Rome for having appealed to Caesar.

Ben
BYTW if you would read my book Understanding Paul, you would have a better understanding of Paul. In fact the fact that Acts 22:3 names Paul as a student of Gamliel, and the information about his three year study of, and initiation into Essene Judaism in Damascus which I documented in my reply to this blog, was cut and pasted right out of that book.

James Trimm said:
Paul was a student of Gamliel according to Acts 22:3.

In Acts we read about Paul just before he became a believer in Messiah:

Now Shaul was yet full of the threat and anger of
murder against the talmidim of our Adon. And he
asked for letters from the Chief Cohen to give to
Darm’suk (Damascus) to the synagogues, that if he
should find any who follow in this way, men or
women, he might bind and bring them to
Yerushalayim.
(Acts 9:1-2)

Now why word Shaul want to go to Damascus to pursue the followers of Yeshua? The first followers of Yeshua were from the Essenes. Essene Judaism was born in Damascus and its followers, like the Nazarenes, called their movement “the Way”.

Now while on his way to Damascus Paul encounters the resurrected Yeshua and himself becomes a believer in Yeshua as the Messiah (Acts 9:3-7). AS instructed by Yeshua, Paul enters Damascus and makes contact with the followers of Yeshua there (Acts 9:8-19). In his letter to the Galatians Paul describes these events as follows:

And I did not go to Yerushaliyim to the emissaries
who were before me, but I went to Arabia and again
returned to Darm’suk (Damascus), and after three
years, I went to Yerushalayim to seek Kefa and
remained with him fifteen days.
(Gal. 1:17-18)

Why did Paul remain for three years in Damascus? Because it took three years to be fully admitted into the Essene community. As Josephus writes:

But now if any one has a mind to come over to their sect, he is not immediately admitted, but he is prescribed the same method of living which they use for a year, while he continues excluded'; and they give him also a small hatchet, and the fore-mentioned girdle, and the white garment. And when he has given evidence, during that time, that he can observe their continence, he approaches nearer to their way of living, and is made a partaker of the waters of purification; yet is he not even now admitted to live with them; for after this demonstration of his fortitude, his temper is tried two more years; and if he appear to be worthy, they then admit him into their society.
(Wars 2:8:7)

Paul went through the entire process of learning the ins and outs of Essene Judaism. These studies also shaped Paul’s thinking.

Paul said he was arrested for believing in the resurrection because thr real motives of his enemies was that they hated his belief in the resurrection of Yeshua.

Ben Masada said:
Well, Mr. Trimm,

After Paul's experience on the Road to Damascus he went to Damscus, preaching his gospel in the Synagogues of the Jews, and continued to Arabia doing the same kind of work. I find nowhere that he studied with the Essenes in Damascus. (Gal. 1:15-20) And that he was a student of Gamaliel, I find nothing either in Acts or throughout his Letters. Only his word, which enjoys no credibility amongs the Jews. And only once when he was arrested and afraid
to be delivered to be judged by the Jews. (Acts 22:3) Than again, he was an expert at doing that. Why do I say so? Because he knew why he had been arrested: For spreading his teachings everywhere against our Law and the Sanctuary. (Acts 21:28,29) Nevertheless, before the Sanhedrin Court he claimed that he had been arrested because of his hope in the resurrection, which was not true. (Acts 23:6)

Now, if he was wrongly accused, the normal course would be to present some kind of defense, and Paul didn't say a word, as an evidence that everything was correct. On the contrary, although not being under vow, he accepted the ill-advice of James to camouflage himself as a Law observer in the Temple in order not to be detected. I understand James because he was trying to avoid another havoc like the one Paul had caused in Jerusalem 14 years before, when he showed up preaching the Yeshua was the Messiah, son of God, and that he had resurrected, and almost got killed for preaching heresy in Jerusalem. But it didn't help because he was indeed arrested and taken to Rome for having appealed to Caesar.

Ben
This raises an question I have been tossing around for awhile. Is the Didache a reliable source for this information? Is it even a period book, or was it a later contrivance? Should it even be considered when studying this very topic? I find some very interesting things in it that make a lot of sense to me. Some things I disagree with as well. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts on this are.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

LINKS

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by James Trimm.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service