Nazarene Space

Hello.  I have a very important question, and I was wondering if anyone here could offer me their insights so that I can come to the conclusion as to what is the truth.  I want to know about how to wear clothes without breaking Torah.  If someone were to wear a skirt made of linen and a shirt top made of wool, is that a violation of Torah?  I know that Torah says not to wear clothing of mixed fibers, but what about wearing one item of clothing that is one fiber, and another item of clothing that is a different fiber?  For a man, could he wear 100% cotton jeans and a 100% wool shirt?  Or for a person, could they wear a 100% cotton t-shirt and a 100% wool sweater over it?  What are your beliefs regarding this?  It would be very appreciative; me and my best friend have wondered about this and are trying to figure it out, but we have not come to a satisfying conclusion yet.  Any help?  Thanks, I appreciate any time spent.  Shalom =).

Views: 217

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd suggest studying the attire of the priests - see what fabrics their different articles of clothing are made of, perhaps it reveals something.

Personally, I feel pretty secure in believing you can wear different articles, each being 100% "unifabric";
you can have a 100% linen shirt, and a 100% wool shirt over that one, if you want.

However, the "mixed fabrics" commandment is a bit like the ceremonial cleanness commandments.
When are we not unclean - in diaspora?
How can we possibly remain clean, when we're constantly sitting on seats a swine-eater has sat on, etc.
Don't intentionally sow a mixed-fabric quilt, for sure, but I wouldn't prioritize this command over more important ones, while we're in diaspora.
I would say the difference is Torah says thou shalt not wear clothing of mixed garments, whereas for uncleanness, it says if you are unclean, this is what you are to do; so there is nothing in Torah that says do not be unclean. Torah says, if you are unclean, you are to do "x". But, for wearing forbidden garments, there is no tolerance of it in Torah, at least from what I have learned by studying Torah; that is the difference I believe. How might I be able to study the attire of the priests? Does Scripture speak of what priests are supposed to wear? If so, could you direct me to it? Thanks =).
this spooks through my head everyday..

Christian said:
How can we possibly remain clean, when we're constantly sitting on seats a swine-eater has sat on, etc.div>
"I know that Torah says not to wear clothing of mixed fibers, but what about wearing one item of clothing that is one fiber, and another item of clothing that is a different fiber? For a man, could he wear 100% cotton jeans and a 100% wool shirt? Or for a person, could they wear a 100% cotton t-shirt and a 100% wool sweater over it?"

Ann, i think you have read enough about that as i understand from your post. but since you do not accept a rabbi's ruling here is what i can suggest:

take a moment to meditate in each law of torah. understand "what" G-d wanted you to do. then try ask "why". from that meditation you shall be led to infer more parallel things in life, revealing to you certain wisdom just equally relevant to a rabbi pondering over profound halachic issues. remember what M. Dovid the psalmist sang: "Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly... but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His Law he meditates day and night (yihgeh yomam valaylah). meditating torah can do more than arguing legal opinions. : ) he he he

" What are your beliefs regarding this? "

as for me i have no beliefs. what i believe or what i don't matters nothing: a jewess woman follows her husband and her husband holds what the rabbi says. that is all. in that manner i can say that gentile women stand better than us.
"How can we possibly remain clean, when we're constantly sitting on seats a swine-eater has sat on, etc."

bwahhhh ha ha ha ha ha .....

christian you are witty and you often wake me up when i'm sleepy.

Christian said:
I'd suggest studying the attire of the priests - see what fabrics their different articles of clothing are made of, perhaps it reveals something.

Personally, I feel pretty secure in believing you can wear different articles, each being 100% "unifabric";
you can have a 100% linen shirt, and a 100% wool shirt over that one, if you want.

However, the "mixed fabrics" commandment is a bit like the ceremonial cleanness commandments.
When are we not unclean - in diaspora?
How can we possibly remain clean, when we're constantly sitting on seats a swine-eater has sat on, etc.
Don't intentionally sow a mixed-fabric quilt, for sure, but I wouldn't prioritize this command over more important ones, while we're in diaspora.
To Beryl:
We can't remain clean in diaspora, now can we?
If so, I'd like to know how...
As soon as one gets out of the shower, one touches something unclean.
So either never stop showering, or be unclean.
That's diaspora, and if I'm wrong, well, at least I don't go around as a disrespectful woman, laughing at people.
If (you think) I'm wrong: how about correcting me, or offering some teaching?
But no, you'd rather just mock your brethren.
Quote: We can't remain clean in diaspora, now can we?

Not sure I agree with you here. Believe it or not, I have gone through this day without touching something unclean! Here's a few other points I would like to make:

1) Touching something a "swine eater" has touched does not make one unclean. If you believe differently, kindly show chapter and verse for this.

2) A shower does not make one clean. Complete immersion is required. (A shower is better then nothing in attempt to rid oneself of an unclean state if it's all that is available.)

3) The only Torah commandment forbidding mixed materials being warn a those of Linen and Wool. Furthermore, I personally would not wear both at the same time even if it were 2 separate articles of clothing.

If Daniel could handle Torah commandments living in the diaspora, we can to!
Mikha El:
If I've understood the Torah correctly, and that may not be the case, but if so, then virtually everything a man who eats swine wears and touches becomes unclean.
If this is the case, then uncleanness spreads through the city in a flash - all the clothes in your wardrobe are unclean, the towels you dry yourself with are unclean, etc
Christian, I think the idea that you present of uncleanness is contrary to the spirit of Torah. i don't think there is much place in Torah to draw the conclusion that swine eaters make people unclean by touching others. even if they did, we see in Scripture the Niddah. A woman in Niddah if she touches someone, they are unclean until evening, but then Torah says if the blood touches someone, then whoever the person touches shall be unclean. it seems kind of pointless to state this if all unclean people could spread their uncleanness by touch.

"That's diaspora, and if I'm wrong, well, at least I don't go around as a disrespectful woman, laughing at people."

i didn't laugh to disrespect: i laughed for the wit.

you are very sensitive, what made you that? a normal member will easily get my point without negative impression whatever.

Christian said:
To Beryl:
We can't remain clean in diaspora, now can we?
So either never stop showering, or be unclean.
That's diaspora, and if I'm wrong, well, at least I don't go around as a disrespectful woman, laughing at people.
If (you think) I'm wrong: how about correcting me, or offering some teaching?
But no, you'd rather just mock your brethren.
Mikha, after some thought, i think perhaps maybe you are right about it just being about wool and linen. Thanks. halom.
Shalom
what exactly is the rabbinic Halacha in this?

beryl etanah said:
"I know that Torah says not to wear clothing of mixed fibers, but what about wearing one item of clothing that is one fiber, and another item of clothing that is a different fiber? For a man, could he wear 100% cotton jeans and a 100% wool shirt? Or for a person, could they wear a 100% cotton t-shirt and a 100% wool sweater over it?"

Ann, i think you have read enough about that as i understand from your post. but since you do not accept a rabbi's ruling here is what i can suggest:

take a moment to meditate in each law of torah. understand "what" G-d wanted you to do. then try ask "why". from that meditation you shall be led to infer more parallel things in life, revealing to you certain wisdom just equally relevant to a rabbi pondering over profound halachic issues. remember what M. Dovid the psalmist sang: "Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly... but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His Law he meditates day and night (yihgeh yomam valaylah). meditating torah can do more than arguing legal opinions. : ) he he he

" What are your beliefs regarding this? "

as for me i have no beliefs. what i believe or what i don't matters nothing: a jewess woman follows her husband and her husband holds what the rabbi says. that is all. in that manner i can say that gentile women stand better than us.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

LINKS

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by James Trimm.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service