Nazarene Space

Yochanan baptized "for the remission of sins" so why did Yeshua go to him to be baptized?

Views: 129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

He was baptized as an example for all men.
He was baptized as a public event to declare the commencement of his ministry complete with a supernatural validation. He was baptized so that Yochanan could declare him to all men to be the Lamb of God, who alone, notwithstanding the baptism rite, has the power to cleanse from ALL sin.

In Luke chapter 1 we find a couple that lived during the reign of Herod. Both Tzadikkim and of the linage of Aharon making their child, Yohannan, the High Priest of YHVH. Those in charge were Roman puppets and everyone knew it. Yeshua came to His cousin to be "washed" for His new office, the Great High Priest; Of the order of Melek Tzadik. (Shemos 40 Moshe washes Aharon into his priestly office)

In the Gospel according to the Hebrews,
which is written in the Chaldee and Syrian language,
but in Hebrew letters, and is used by the Nazarenes
to this day (I mean the Gospel according the Apostles,
or, as is generally maintained, the Gospel according to
Matthew, a copy of which is in the library at Caesarea,
We find:

Behold, the mother of our Lord
and His brothers said to him,
John the Baptist baptizes for the remission of sins;
let us go and be baptized by him.
But He said to them, what sin have
I committed that I should go and be baptized by him?
Unless perchance, the very words which I have said
Is [a sin of] ignorance.
(Jerome; Against Pelagius 3:2)

My 2 cents.....He told John it was necessary for all righteousness. Note He did not disagree with John about John needing to be baptized of Him. He does have a baptism, the baptism in the Holy Ghost. BOTH baptisms are required, in other words, was what He was saying. Water, being baptized into the likeness of His death/the grave, HG, being baptized into the likeness of His resurrection life and power. One is for repentance from dead works, the other is for spiritual/living works to begin.

Amazing insights my Sister!

In Shemos 40:12 we see a commandment to "wash" (baptize) the incoming High Priest. Yeshua was being baptized into His office as the Great High Priest.

Rebecca Cardinal said:

My 2 cents.....He told John it was necessary for all righteousness. Note He did not disagree with John about John needing to be baptized of Him. He does have a baptism, the baptism in the Holy Ghost. BOTH baptisms are required, in other words, was what He was saying. Water, being baptized into the likeness of His death/the grave, HG, being baptized into the likeness of His resurrection life and power. One is for repentance from dead works, the other is for spiritual/living works to begin.

Shabbat Shalom, I must agree with Rebecca and Kevin.  When Yeshua came to John to be baptized, John refused, but when Yeshua told John it was necessary to FULFILL (all) righteousness, John consented:

Mt 3:15 And Yeshua answering said unto him, Suffer [it to be so] now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered Him.

How do you fulfill righteousness, and what is righteousness:

Pss 119:172 My tongue shall speak of Thy word: for all Thy commandments [are] righteousness.

Do you not fulfill righteousness by obeying or doing what the Law commands (the commandments)?  Yes, so it is a command within the Law of Elohim that Yeshua be baptized, and when John was told this, he baptized Yeshua.  That is about as plain and simple of an answer as it can get.  Blessings in The Name, ImAHebrew.

A question for my Christian friends who believe "Jesus fulifilled the law of Moses" so you don't need to. In Matthew 3:13-15 we read: "[13] Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him. [14] But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? [15] And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him." (Matthew 3:15 KJV). OK since Yeshua "fulfilled" baptism does that mean baptism is a ritual that no longer needs to be observed? Let that question sink in.

Shabbat Shalom James, I was hoping you could point me with a link to converse with those "christians" who believe you don't need to fulfill the Law of Moses and that baptism no longer needs to be observed.  Thanks and Blessings in The Name, ImAHebrew.

P.S.  Are you familiar with any of the Scriptures, from the Law of Moshe, which specifically requires/commands Yeshua's baptism?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

LINKS

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by James Trimm.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service